Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee Pain for over a year  (Read 384 times)

Offline KaileyJade

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee Pain for over a year
« on: November 13, 2018, 01:20:57 AM »
Hi. Iíve been having knee trouble for over a year now. At first it was one knee that only hurt when I would bend it and straighten it. A physical therapist said I had tendinitis & recommend I ice it and take Advilís each day to help with pain and inflammation. I did that for weeks, with no relief. Over time my knee pain had gradually became more and I play basketball so while running I started to limp. About 10 months ago I went to a doctor and had an XRay done, nothing showed up. He said that I simply had a knee problem that happens with most teen girls and that my knee cap was a little loose so he recommend I do therapy for 6 weeks and sold me a brace to keep my knee cap in place. The knee brace seemed to help with the pain for a bit but then my other knee began to hurt. I started doing therapy for both knees and did for over 6 weeks, it didnít help so I stopped. Now both of my knees hurt when bending and straightening. When I squat I also here a cracking or tearing sound coming from my knees. I canít sit for too long because that causes pain, it hurts climbing and going down stairs, I can hardly run at all anymore, and they even hurt when I simply do nothing. I find that the pain is behind my knee cap and around when I apply pressure under my knee cap (moving the knee cap over and pressing because thatís where I feel the most pain) . Also, when I walk sometimes, I will step and my knee will just jerk causing sharp pain that almost causes me to lose balance. Sometimes my knee pain will cause my whole leg to ache. I went back to the orthopedic and they recommended therapy again and if that didnít work to return and get an MRI. My knees also pop a lot like Iíd say over thirty times a day. My knees now just hurt regularly, not just when I excercise. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night in pain so bad that I canít even sleep. Iíve basically gotten to the point that I tell myself Iíll have to get used to this pain and deal with it the rest of my life :( It honestly gets to the point to where I just cry because of the pain. Any advice for pain or suggestions on what I should do? Itíd be greatly appreciated thank you.

Offline rednik80

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
Re: Knee Pain for over a year
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 02:40:32 AM »
Hello, I'm no expert so I can only say through personal experience. I had many of your symptoms such as pain ascending/descending stairs, pain behind the kneecap and a loose kneecap. My main problem, amongst others was patellae instability (which I'm sure they've already mentioned) where the patella feels loose and doesn't slide along the trochlear groove properly and feeling pain behind the kneecap. This can be caused by many different things such as blunt trauma. My patella was too far to the side so was catching when I flexed my knee and had to be careful not to bend it suddenly.
 I've just had a tibial tubercle osteotomy to relieve this so hopefully it will help me.
 I'm not sure about pain relief as you're doing everything you can to relieve it and you've had physio as well but, as with most problems with the knee, it's always best to start with conservative methods first.
Good luck.

Offline PwordsB

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 11:06:45 AM »
Knees are rubbish, aren't they?

Your symptoms could be the result of all kinds of knee issues.  Since my main knee damage is cartilage and I have had similar symptoms for years, my response would probably be that it sounds like cartilage damage.  If I were you, I wouldn't be waiting for that MRI scan.  I would be getting it done as soon as possible to find out what is causing your problems.  The more time you spend before getting it, the more damage you're likely to do to yourself.  In some cases, the type of physiotherapy you're doing can be directly worsening the problem.  I always find it absurd that people get told to work hard at their physiotherapy for months and months without any more than someone guessing what might be the problem.  For me, that guess was wrong and I spent months hacking away at my cartilage whilst waiting for surgery that I didn't even have because their guesses were wrong.  I also found that every doctor of physiotherapist whole-heartedly agreed with the very first guess that was made.  It was as though they had no concept of the fact that it might not be the most common injury they could think of.  Even now, when I see new health care professionals, I tell them I did NOT have the surgery that was initially expected and they still write up in their notes that I did have it, because for some reason most of them seem unable to understand that not every person in a certain situation is going to have the same level of damage or even the same thing damaged.  Sorry, I'm rambling...

Get yourself that MRI scan.  Equally, you need to ensure that you're doing the right physiotherapy. There may be all kinds of pains that come from it, and you have to try your best to differentiate between the pain that  is warning you to stop and the pain that's telling you it's going to work.  Not an easy task.  Largely, only you can tell.   You also need to understand that six weeks of physiotherapy isn't going to cut it.  Anyone who tells you that's going to be enough is someone whose experience of knee problems comes solely from their textbook.  In the real world, knees are far more stubborn than that.  Realistically, unless you're extremely lucky and it turns out there's not much causing your problem and a bit of magic can fix it, you're going to be working on that knee for the rest of your life.  But it isn't as damning as it sounds.  People are put off by things that will 'last for the rest of their life', but it's only the words that are scary.  In reality, it's just like any other type of exercise.  There isn't a finish line.  You need to continually work on your fitness and your health if you want to be fit and healthy.  It's important that you keep your legs strong and functional.  It's also important that you keep the rest of your body strong to support your legs and keep you as agile as possible.  I don't know what sort of person you are, but if that sounds daunting, just keep it real.  All you're doing is trading the negative impacts of knee problems for some regular exercise (cleverly done, not overdoing it).  For me, choosing hard work over pain sounds like a really easy decision.  You need to find out what is really wrong, and in my experience a physical examination is not reliable in any way because something as simple as a tense muscle can completely corrupt what the doctor 'finds out'.  Once you know that, and assuming it's going to be sufficient to work on it conservatively rather than end up on the surgical road (a nightmare road that you should always avoid if possible), you can find the right person to help.  When it comes to physiotherapy or just someone to assist you in strengthening, the main objective should always be to become an expert yourself, so you don't have to rely on someone else. 

Those are my thoughts.  I hope it turns out that there's just about nothing wrong with your knee and it just needs a bit of gentle persuading to be fine again.  Good luck.
Snowboard injury 21/01/16
Open cartilage graft (Chondrotissue) 29/06/16
Sub-total lateral meniscectomy, LTP cartilage removal 20/01/17
11mm Closing Medial DFO and LTP Microfracture 10/08/18

Online Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 350
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 11:17:35 AM »
The symptoms you have resonate rather of patello femoral syndrome so an MRI may not show very much (but itís still worth getting one)

Have a read of the patella primer in the learning portfolio, thereís a good page on PFS specifically. 

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/primers/patella

Rest (not physio) and ice and the Advil are likely going to be needed to get the knees settled.

Try to find a doctor and therapist who understand this syndrome esp in young people (it varies from person to person in terms of pain levels, triggers etc). Itís normally a result of overuse but there can be an anatomical cause if your biomechanics are off. Someone needs to thoroughly examine your alignment, gait, muscle balance not just give you a bunch of generic exercises

How old are you? It could potentially be linked to growing pains, puberty?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 11:23:00 AM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
More tears and wear, scope planned in Jan 2019 to tidy up