Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Acl revision  (Read 649 times)

Offline Duffer247

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Acl revision
« on: October 13, 2018, 08:30:24 PM »
Ruptured my ACL,PCL and MCL ten years ago aged 30 year. I have had my MCL reconstructed twice and numerous other procedures throughout the years. I have been back to my surgeon who informs me my ACl is in pieces again. I knew something was up as I have been in a lot of pain recently.

Iím gutted as Iím fit and active, though I have crap knees I enjoy keeping fit and having an active role teaching at a school.

Anyway, surgeon wants to fill the holes from the original ACL surgery using bone grafts and then back to see him for ACL reconstruction in a few months.

So after all that.....how long is the recovery time for the grafts? As in how long non weight baring etc? I wonít see my surgeon until the 24th to ask him so I am just trying to work out how long I need to be off work etc. Anyone had similar? Thanks in advance people

Offline Morg

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: Acl revision
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 08:41:13 PM »
Hi there, I was non weight bearing for 6 weeks (although I got that slightly wrong as in I was supposed to touch the floor but not put any weight on it hence I ended up with pins and needles in my foot) back to the surgeon 4 months later for 2nd reconstruction, think I was off work for 3 months. Good luck!

Offline Chiaretta

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 01:59:45 PM »
I was partial weight bearing for 4 weeks (max 50% for the first 2 weeks) and then had the reconstruction three months later. Maybe it also depends on the graft type they use. For me, they used autograft bone (from the iliac crest). I was home the same evening and went back to work after 2-3 weeks (had to wear a brace until the reconstruction, though, because my knee was extremely unstable).
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 05:19:29 PM by Chiaretta »

Offline Deb1966

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 10:26:18 AM »
 I had my bone grafting done in March and I was weight bearing straight away. I had more pain from my hip where he took the bone from than my knee . I had x rays done last Monday and the grafts have healed perfectly. I am due for my acl revision and partial next March.

Offline Duffer247

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 05:18:28 PM »
I had my bone grafting done in March and I was weight bearing straight away. I had more pain from my hip where he took the bone from than my knee . I had x rays done last Monday and the grafts have healed perfectly. I am due for my acl revision and partial next March.

Perfect thatís what I wanted to know. I hate mincing about on crutches so weight baring straight away is perfect. Good luck with the ACL revision, all the best.

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 350
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 05:33:17 PM »
I canít imagine youíll be crutch free after a major op like ACL. Even if you can put weight through the leg, youíll likely want crutches for support and comfort to start with. Got to be better than a full leg brace if you have the choice

Good luck for op
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
More tears and wear, scope planned in Jan 2019 to tidy up

Offline Deb1966

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 08:27:09 PM »
I should say that although I was fully weight bearing I did use crutches for a week or so and drove a very short distance in a couple of weeks but everyone's recovery is different. Good luck. I had more pain from my hip than I did my knee. Physio is crucial before your revision. Hope it goes well.