Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Questions about ACL Rehab  (Read 195 times)

Offline juliaelizabeth

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Questions about ACL Rehab
« on: October 09, 2018, 07:16:51 AM »
Hi there guys,

Just have a few quick questions about the ACL rehab. I had an ACL recon with an allograft when I was 14 due to a soccer injury but re-tore it when I was 21 playing netball. I was going off to live overseas so couldn't get it fixed. This year I tore my medial meniscus and the surgeon decided to do two operations- a meniscus repair and an ACL Hamstring revision surgery, in which he inserted a new tibial screw. I am now 9 weeks post op.

My rehab has been going quite well, but I just had a few questions.
1. Whenever I do my squats for my rehab I hear/ feel a clicking sound around the same point.
2. Whenever I do prone hangs and then do my Hamstring curls off the bed my knee also clicks and crunches at the same point every time.

Anyone have experience with this? I got a little tipsy by mistake and engaged in a bit of premature dancing.. I don't remember feeling anything wrong but kind of nervous I have retorn something.

Also, how long till the stiffness goes away? I have full knee extension and flexion, but if I stop the exercises my knee feels stiff and it takes some warming up to reach full extension again.

Please let me know your experiences.
Much love,
Julia.

Offline BornToRun

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 24
Re: Questions about ACL Rehab
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 01:51:12 PM »
Hi, and very glad to hear your rehab is going well. As always, I'll start by saying that if you have any concerns it's worth mentioning them to your physio and having them checked over, for peace of mind if nothing else.
I'm six months post hamstring ACLr and lateral meniscus repair (same op), and my experience has been like this:
Clicking/crunching- definitely, usually going from bent to straight but also going up stairs. In my case it's painless, it started around 3 months or so and I still get it now.
Stiffness - I'd say it took a good 4 months before I stopped feeling very stiff after sitting for a while. It still happens occasionally, but to a much lesser degree. The physio says my terminal extension is still a bit stiff, courtesy of the weak medial hamstring (but also the grumbling calf and adductor, both of which have been picking up the slack for the hamstring). That said, if you're having trouble with the extension that one's always worth checking out just in case there are any issues with scar tissue build up. If there are, the sooner addressed the better.
Hope that helps, very best of luck, and let us know how you get on!
6 Mar 2018 - skiing fall, ACL rupture, MCL and LCL sprain, lateral meniscus tear and bone bruising
13 Apr 2018 - ACL reconstruction with hamstring autograft, small meniscus repair