Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Total Left Knee Replacement 9/28/18  (Read 422 times)

Offline hersheymomx3

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Total Left Knee Replacement 9/28/18
« on: October 05, 2018, 03:18:41 AM »
Hi! 6 days post op from total left knee replacement.  Having a terrible time sleeping/resting. Have a pins and needles/tingly feeling in my lower leg/foot at times. Is this normal? Also what does everyone do to lay down and be comfortable? Iíve tried propping up, laying flat, wedge pillow, recliner, and floor. Thanks in advance for any advice.  :)

Offline PwordsB

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 13
Re: Total Left Knee Replacement 9/28/18
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 07:39:40 AM »
Hey. You should get much more useful answers than this, as I've never had a knee replacement, just various other operations.

I have spoken to five people in real life who have had knee replacements. Before that, I had read about them online, in preparation for the day that I need one. Online, I read dozens of horror stories about how it ruined their lives and all manner of awful stuff. But every person I spoke to in person had a much happier story and said they were absolutely happy that they went for it and after the initial pain, they've felt great.

I don't believe there is a 'normal' because there are far too many factors that affect each part of your recovery, but I am certain that at six days, your leg is not going to have a clue what has gone on and you're gonna feel all kinds of weird stuff. The pins and needles are probably caused by circulation issues. Having had such a major operation, I think that's to be expected for a little while providing that the foot and lower leg don't change colour and you don't lose mobility in the lower leg. I would expect you to feel it after not moving the leg for a while and for it to stop once you move around for a bit. Hopefully you'll find that it stops happening pretty soon.

As for sleeping - for the procedures I have had, my comfiest method was to get two pillows. I would place then in a capital T position with the wide end at my feet, that way it kept my leg elevated nicely without putting too much pressure on the knee or allowing it to bend in the night leaving me waking up unable to straighten it out.

Keep up the good fight. If you do this recovery correctly, and with a bit of luck, your life is going to be a lot nicer than it was a week ago :)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 07:42:49 AM by PwordsB »
Snowboard injury 21/01/16
Open cartilage graft (Chondrotissue) 29/06/16
Sub-total lateral meniscectomy, LTP cartilage removal 20/01/17
11mm Closing Medial DFO and LTP Microfracture 10/08/18

support