Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: post surg. nerve damage/drop foot  (Read 1538 times)

Offline apoole

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
post surg. nerve damage/drop foot
« on: June 12, 2003, 01:09:14 AM »
I had a TTT done 3 weeks ago. Aside from the normal pain associated with this surgery, I am unable to flex or more accurately, dorsiflex my foot.  
I also have numbness, and in some places, complete loss of sensation down the outer portion of my lower leg and the top of my foot.
My surgeon knows about this problem, and seemed cooncerned initially, yet now does not.  
The research I've done suggests a Peroneal Nerve injury of some type, and said it was "just one of those things."  I practically had to beg him for an EMG, because he was going to wait and see if it started to recover on it's own!  
He thinks it's probably neuropraxia - I'm not so sure, because he told me it would take 3-6 months to recover fully, due to the fact that the nerve regenerates at a rate of 1 mm per day - according to my research, this (regeneration) is true of a more serious type of nerve damage, not neuropraxia.  Also, from what I've read, neuropraxia should begin recovering in a matter of days to weeks after surgery - mine has shown 0 improvement in 3 weeks.  
Is time an issue here -if my nerve is actually seriously damaged, shouldn't this be a priority?  There's a chance I could be permanently disabled, and I'm very upset that my surgeon is trivializing it.  He became defensive and very elusive when I brought up the subject of nerve damage.  Does anyone have any information or advice?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2003, 04:57:16 AM by apoole »

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
Re: 3 weeks s/p TTT...
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2003, 04:28:47 PM »
My only advice would be to call his office back and ask about the EMG. Tell them one was supposed to be scheduled, and you haven't heard yet and are getting anxious.

I have no idea if your OS is hiding anything. But if it is making you nervous, I'd push them to get that EMG as soon as possible.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline Aclcoping

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: post surg. nerve damage/drop foot
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 03:41:20 AM »
Hi how did this finally resolve for you, I am facing a similar issue

support