Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: First one knee, then the other?  (Read 516 times)

fullgallop

First one knee, then the other?
« on: September 19, 2018, 09:58:43 PM »
I am new, so I apologize if this is not the right location for this question.

I am three weeks post-op for arthroscopic surgery on my right knee. After about 20 years of intermittent but manageable pain, I had an injury this year that just kept bothering me. After X-rays, MRI, cortisone injection and physical therapy, my surgeon suggested a medial plica excision. During surgery he also performed a lateral release and was able to 'tidy up' some torn edges of cartilage. (We discussed these procedures ahead of time, but left it to his discretion whether he would perform them or not. My knee cap was immobile before surgery and I have a full depth tear in my articular cartilage.)

I have just started physical therapy again and it's going reasonably well. The rt knee pain is minimal and decreasing every day. I am so far very pleased with the outcome and looking forward to slowly getting back to normal activity levels (for me, that includes strength training, 2-3 miles walking and running every day, plus a serious equestrian 'career' - so I am used to being very active!)

Here's the problem: at my first 2 physical therapy appointments, the DPT remarked on the loud, consistent 'cracking' of my LEFT knee. He asked if it hurts (it does) and how long it has been going on (years - but it has never been as consistently painful as the right knee.) I am fervently hoping that my left knee is just protesting the added workload of recovery and will not be a long term problem, but very anxious that it might be more serious.

Anyone else have an experience like this? Did the non-surgical knee resolve itself as recovery continued?

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 96
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
Re: First one knee, then the other?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 10:03:21 AM »
Noises in the knee are hard to interpret. It might as you say just be the added workload. Note that plicae - when they are present - are often present in both knees.
--
KNEEguru

fullgallop

Re: First one knee, then the other?
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 09:46:18 PM »
thank you for the reply. I saw my doctor today and while he doesn't think the L knee pain is 'normal' or within expectations, we are hopeful that it will resolve as my gait becomes more normal and my R knee continues to heal. I will see him again in 4 more weeks to follow up!

support