Advertisement - Hide this advert





Author Topic: Tibial Plateau Fracture to remove metal or not?  (Read 299 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline KeithPow

  • MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • *
  • Posts: 2
  • Liked: 0
Tibial Plateau Fracture to remove metal or not?
« on: September 17, 2018, 08:52:02 AM »
I had a fall in December 2017 and had a fairly nasty Tibial Plateau Fracture that required a plate, 10 screws and a bone graft, all was going well until the graft compressed at the 6 month mark and the pain levels increased dramatically and I now have a pronounced limp. I am currently on about 60mg of morphine a day which lessens the pain but its always there and increases a the day goes on.
The specialist has recommended he removes all the metal and looks to repair the cartilage?. I have read mixed comments on the procedure and would be interested in others experiences. Some reports say that this has reduced the pain and others it has increased. The other option would be to leave as is and hope the pain goes away?

Offline Bella Gamba

  • MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • **
  • Posts: 48
  • Liked: 8
Re: Tibial Plateau Fracture to remove metal or not?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 11:51:29 PM »
Hi KeithPow,

I had my TPF metal implant removed a bit over three months ago and have been posting updates regularly in the “Bone Breaks around the knee” section in this forum.  I also had a pretty bad TPF (the worse my doctor had seen in his long career- or did he exaggerate?).

In my case the pain associated with the metal is gone.  However, I am in pain due to the arthroscopic surgery that was done during metal removal.  I also have pain (I think muscular lately) due to the PT exercises I am doing to gain strength. 

I would recommend removal, especially if you are feeling the screws and/ or metal plate.  In my case I had a large metal plate and unsure how many screws.  But two of the screws were poking out so they really had to go and at that point the OS decided to take everything out.

I will continue to do updates in my original post: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=74351.0

Good luck making your decision, it is another surgery, so really not fun but may be needed and I was told that if you are going to have this surgery do it around the one year mark.

Wish you the best,

Bella