Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Burning feeling  (Read 1372 times)

Offline dcakes

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Burning feeling
« on: April 16, 2004, 05:59:50 AM »
I wrote below about how I fell on my knee a couple of months ago and have finished my 3rd day of Physical Therapy.  Well, now I have a burning feeling in my leg....kind of feels like a rope burn inside the front of my leg.  My leg felt this way right after I fell (actually it was worse right  after I fell).  This burning is below the swelling.  Any ideas on what this could be.  My knee has been hurting since the fall but I think the Physical Therapy is making it worse.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2004, 06:02:40 AM by dcakes »

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Burning feeling
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2004, 12:14:49 PM »
Hey !!

Is your knee hot to touch, then it might be an inflammation and you need antiinflammatory.

Nettan  ::)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline dcakes

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2004, 06:25:30 PM »
No...it's not hot to the touch...I'm taking anti-inflammatories right now but they aren't doing anything to make the swelling go down....

Offline ozzybug

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Never do what you would un-do if caught
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2004, 07:15:09 PM »
D-
A lot of times, when a patient has "burning" type pain/discomfort/feelings, it can be indicative of nerve damage or trauma to a nerve, so if this keeps up, then deffinately talk with your doctor about it.

I cannot say that this is deffinately what's going on, but my burning pain was and is from neuropathy of the saphenous nerve.  It would be worth bringing up with your doctor.

Please let us know how things turn out.  I do hope this is just a temporary thing for you!  Best of luck!

Lezlee
Rt knee:Meniscal repair 8/03: Repair prev. meniscus repair 10/03;Chondro shave, scar tissue removal 12/03;LR,debridement chondro & scar tissue 04/02/04;TTT done 09/14/04;VMO advancement 04/2005- Does it ever end?

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2004, 07:21:24 PM »
Hmm.....have you been to an orthopeadic surgeon ? And in that case what diagnose ? Can also be so you're new in phys and your body react on it, should be better after a while. Are you iceing after pt-session ? Try also to elevate as much as possible. Well I don't know if I have more to offer you right now. Are you going to a pt for your phys ? What does pt say ?
Please let me know more.

Nettan  ::)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline ByteSize

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2004, 01:59:08 AM »
What was your injury?  Was it a broken patella?  I broke mine in early February, and when they have me doing certain kinds of weight-bearing extension in PT, sometimes my kneecap feels like it's on fire.  The feeling goes away after awhile (i.e., is not constant).

Have you spoken to your OS?  If so, what did he/she say?

Kathy
Fractured patella and surgery 2/3/04
Staples removed 2/25/04
PT started 3/8/04
Brace removed 4/13/04
Walking on one crutch 4/13/04
Walking on cane 4/30/04
Graduated from PT 5/26/04
Hardware removed 2/7/05

Offline dcakes

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2004, 06:08:52 AM »
I don't really have a concrete diagnosis yet....I was referred to the OS a couple of weeks ago and he has me going to Physical Therapy until I see him again this week.  My original doc did X-rays two days after my injury and saw no fractures.  When I went to the OS he did his normal testing (manipulating my leg) and said he didn't think there was any ligament damage and sent me to therapy.  

The pain is definitely worse under my knee-cap....more constant than before and now I can only sit in a normal sitting position for a couple of minutes before it starts hurting and as I'm stretching my leg back out a little it hurts more....about a 7 or 8 on a scale of 1-10.  The "rope burn" feeling is down the front of my leg and also toward the outside of my leg. Not to mention the inside of my leg is still swollen like it's been since the beginning of all this AND the hard lump about an inch below my knee-cap is still there. The lump is hard but it is not tender (doesn't hurt when I press on it).   When I press on the area under my knee-cap it causes a very sharp pain

All the PT has been doing is ultra-sound and the
EMS (electrical muscle stimulation) and had me do some leg lifts and stuff.  This has made the pain worse.  He taped my knee on Friday so that I could do my exercises the rest of the day but it didn't really help a whole lot.

I was really hoping the pain would dissipate over the weekend since I'm not doing therapy on the weekend but it is still there.  I go back to therapy for 2 more days this week and then see my OS again on Thursday.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2004, 06:14:16 AM by dcakes »