Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee vs. Dashboard, 20 years later  (Read 858 times)

Offline Ryon

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Knee vs. Dashboard, 20 years later
« on: April 16, 2004, 05:11:14 AM »
I'm 54 and was injured in a car crash twenty years ago, knee vs. dashboard. I have been able to mostly ignore it over the years. The orthopedic surgeon said it wasn't bad, but that eventually I would need surgery. He told me to put it off until my knee got really painful.

I've spent the last twenty years compensating for the injury and kept things pretty stable, until about a month ago when I took a shot from a falling package across the ligament above my kneecap. It wasn't a bad blow, and it caused no lasting pain in itself, but it seemed to destabilize my patella. Now my kneecap pops and clicks when I walk, and I sometimes have weird stretching sensations of the front tendon as I move about. The aching bothers me too!

The Guru page that seems to be closest to my problem is the one on chondral defect. Very low finances keep me from seeing the doctor about this. Are there exercises or remedies that will help? I love to mountainbike. The spot that pops is outside the cranking range of my knee (or maybe I'm just having too much fun to notice). I hope this will not hurt my condition. There is a lot of great information on this site, but I'm not sure of a lot of the terms, or what I should be looking for.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Knee vs. Dashboard, 20 years later
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2004, 05:25:19 PM »
Hey !!

Welcome here !! Yeah this site is lovely. I understand it isn't easy if you can't see a doc beacause of finances but
maybe it's necessery. Under the gym you can find good excercises to strenghten the muscles around your knee.
But my advise though is to see a doc because you're still young and need your knee. Especially when the doc already 20 years ago said that you might need surgery in the future. But otherwiese try these excercises cause they are really good. let me know hotw things are going for you.

Hugs from nettan  ::)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2004, 05:41:30 PM »
One option, depending on your location, would be to see a physical therapist first.  If you are in US and live in a state in which physical therapists have direct access you can see one w/o a referral.  The office visit fee is normally significantly less than that of a physician, and they will be able to tell you if it is really necessary that you see a physcian.  This is an option that I recently started using with high school athletes whose parent's don't have health insurance if I want to get another opinion.
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline Ryon

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2004, 04:14:01 AM »
Excellent suggestions, especially to see the physical therapist!

I tried to look up the one I had twenty years ago, but he's no longer around. So I went back to the surgeon, and he's retired! That's a major victory for me, I outlasted the sawbones who told me I'd be back!

I had no problem finding a good PT. Apparently the major part of my troubles came from an atrophied quad on my injured leg, and what I needed were some leg exercises. I am certain this is right, because the movements in the exercises are exactly the ones I've been guarding myself against for all these years.

So, I got checked out, massaged, wrapped, counseled, and assured for much less than I would expect to pay the surgeon for just an office visit. And I still get to ride my mountain bike!

Not bad, thanks!