Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Another infection?  (Read 978 times)

Offline Brando442

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Another infection?
« on: September 11, 2018, 08:51:17 AM »
To cut long story short, I had a MPFL reconstruction and I finally got off my crutches and started rehab then 3 weeks later I got a pretty gnarly infection on my wound which needed a operation to clean.
Fast forward a 2 weeks from that the skin around the scar is very red/purplish very warm and the redness seems to be spreading. The bit that had the abscess thing on it is still open and healing but keeps splitting.

Iíve attached photos. Should I tell my surgeon or am I overreacting

Online vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 411
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Another infection?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 09:06:32 AM »
If concerned, get it checked. It may just be healing but any heat, redness and pain should be checked. Don't know what country you are in, but here in the U.K., I'd see a GP practice nurse and get their input as to whether a surgeon consult is needed. Are you still taking antibiotics? Keeping it covered and dry?
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Brando442

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Another infection?
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 09:51:56 AM »
If concerned, get it checked. It may just be healing but any heat, redness and pain should be checked. Don't know what country you are in, but here in the U.K., I'd see a GP practice nurse and get their input as to whether a surgeon consult is needed. Are you still taking antibiotics? Keeping it covered and dry?

Iíve finished my dose of Antibiotics and Iím covering it up also. I had a couple of nurses say they were a bit concerned but just keep a close eye on it. I have an appointment with my surgeon on the 19th, I just wasnít sure if I needed to book in sooner.
For my first infection I had a big lump and it was super red swollen and painful and a GP gave me anti biotics and said ďcome and see me in 10 days. I thought that canít be right so I got another opinion he sent a letter off to the surgeon who then got me in right away. A day after the GP said ďsee me in 10 daysĒ my wound was turning black. I wonder what would have happened if I waited those 10 days

support