Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Dislocated and fractured patella  (Read 658 times)

Offline Hellsbells

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Dislocated and fractured patella
« on: September 05, 2018, 06:38:49 AM »
Hi all.... I dislocated and fractured my patella, Iíve also got a floating piece of patella, I did this three weeks ago and up until last week was in a straight leg splint, went to the fracture clinic last week and Iíve been told to leave the splint off, Iím waiting for a scan to find out the size of broken piece and what theyíre going to do about it.
Iím not in any pain when the leg is straight but the muscles, tendons on the side hurt quite a bit and I have hardly any bend range in my knee.
Any advice on how to strengthen my knee? And how long do you usually have to wait for a scan?

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 91
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
Re: Dislocated and fractured patella
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 06:55:34 AM »
Patellar fractures are always a challenge. If your doctors chose not to fix the fragments surgically, it appears that the fragments that have united were well aligned, although one fragment clearly was not. At this early stage the focus will be on bone healing rather the range of motion. I would imagine the scan needs to be soon, to decide if a screw or cerclage wire might still help to bring the bits together before it is too late.
--
KNEEguru

Offline holliewood1112

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Experienced a fractured patella from car accident
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 07:21:43 PM »
Hello, I broke my patella 3 years ago in a car accident by hitting it on the dash or steering. It was awful going through the surgery for the two pins and a K wire, then my pins kind of moved out of the bone on their own so I had hardware removal 10 months after the initial surgery (Which is not usually recommended). I still not not run, I still can not hop, Stairs are hard, down and up. It hurts to kneel. Does anyone relate or have any suggestions or advice for me? I get sad and frustrated because it has been 3 years and still feels as if it has been a year afterwards. I hope that I can find someone who can actually relate to me! I have been through so much, I now have anxiety and depression from it all.  I feel like it's pointless to try and explain it or talk about my feelings to any friends or family because this was such a rare fracture. A Patella of all bones...

Hollie C Eldridge

Offline Hellsbells

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 05:36:25 AM »
Hi Holliewood.... gawd it sounds like youíve really been through it  :( - I totally understand the depression and anxiety, when you used to be able to do so much but youíre now limited. I bet thereís quite a few people on here struggling with similar issues, I hope you find them and can let the feelings out, you have all my love and hopes for a brighter way forward x

Offline Hellsbells

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 12:29:36 PM »
Well Iím 6 weeks in now and had my MRI results today, I have damaged my ligaments and have a sliver of bone disconnected from the back of my patella, my consultant is going to talk to another consultant to see if I have surgery to reattach the sliver which would mean surgery next week or if itís going to be removed which could mean a wait of 6 months! Still no mention of physio 😬

I can now bend my knee about 45 deg in front of me but hardly and rear bend, most of the swelling has gone down but does swell towards the end of the day. It hurts if I twist my knee at all.

Is this range of movement about right? It seems slow or an I just being impatient??

Offline Kucove

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
    • https://traproulette.com
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 02:23:39 PM »
Glad you're updating and able to even bend the knee.

support