Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Six years post PFPS  (Read 2516 times)

Offline SuspectDevice

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 59
Re: Six years post PFPS
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2018, 03:08:01 AM »
Update. 

Gone backwards a bit as I tried to get back into triathlon.  Did one small race, then went downhill from there.  Obviously I'm not on top of it yet, but it is easier to live with now I know how to control it better & actually understand what is going on (synovial irritation/inflammation & patella chondromalacia).
L Medial menisectomy 2012
PFPS both knees 2012-2017
Pre-CRPS diagnosed 2014 (I think this was crap)
2017 - 90+% cured via Dr Dye's research
2018 - MTB crash, busted collarbone & ribs - easy compared to knees!
2020 - ride 3x/week, swim 2x/week, gym 2x/week, aiming to get back to short triathlons

Offline James NZ

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2019, 07:39:33 AM »
What rehab exercises did you begin with? Or did you rest as much as possible to get the pain down in order to remain in your envelope of function?

Offline SuspectDevice

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2019, 06:42:36 AM »
What rehab exercises did you begin with? Or did you rest as much as possible to get the pain down in order to remain in your envelope of function?

Hi James

In recent times no real rehab exercises, I just backed off, esp. had to quit running.

I've improved to another level now, doing more regular cycling (usually about 60mins solid 3x/week) and gym work including legs.  I can still feel the problem lurking, but much better than it was at it's worse.  I use ice & TENS machine now more regularly to settle pain/discomfort.

Thinking of trying to ease back into running in a few months, but if things go south, I'll give it away and just be happy with swim/cycling/gym.

At the start of the nightmare 7yrs ago, I could do no rehab, exercises at all.  I just did easy walking for about 15-20mins/day & swimming with no kicking.
2020 - ride 3x/week, swim 2x/week, gym 2x/week, aiming to get back to short triathlons

Offline SuspectDevice

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2019, 08:51:49 PM »

Offline Userhere123

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2020, 05:41:31 PM »
Pictures speak louder than words  :D

https://youtu.be/l0iu0qVypic
Hi,
I am currently dealing with Patella alta and PFPS.
I have been diagnosed with Patella alta and PFPS 5 months back. I didn't injure anywhere..I don't know how it a started. I just did a new walking routine on the hilly roads in the month of August. I did it for a month. Burning knee pain started in september. Its still the same till today.
I just realised that I didn't do it with a proper shoe. Those shoes were not very supportive and  I did walk in the same shoe. Went to an Ortho and had MRI. MRI says that it's patella alta and mild subluxation.
Started PT 3 and a half months back. No improvement even after the PT. I am still doing PT. I still have burning pain and swelling above my knee. What could be the reason for this? What else to do for this condition? I have the same burning pain for last 6 months. It burns whenever I sit down, stand and lying down. i.e legs bent and stretch straight.
I also did dry needling sessions as part of PT. That doesn't help too.. My PT say i need more sessions of dry needling.  Also, i need more strengthening exercises as my muscles are so weak.
How many months of PT required for this? I did 3 and a half months of PT. And Pt said,i might need few more months, But i am not getting any improvement from PT. So, i dont know if i should spend more money and go to the PT.

​​​​​​​What to do for this? Any other solutions recommended? How to recover from this?  How did you recover from it?
I am suffering from this burning pain for past 6 months. Its been the same burning pain till today.  How long does it take to recover? Please help. This burning pain is throughout the day, It pains whenever i sit in a chair,stand for few minutes and while lying down.
How did you recover? Any input is appreciated.

Offline SuspectDevice

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2020, 11:16:39 PM »
8 years now & continuing to improve.

My wife & I are even planning duathlon/triathlon event holidays!

Working from home due to Covid & not having to go to the office each day has also helped improve my mental wellbeing = good for the knees.  Made me realise how much I hate office, going to see if I can work from home more.