Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Hoffa's Fatpad  (Read 456 times)

Offline James NZ

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 11
Hoffa's Fatpad
« on: August 27, 2018, 04:14:53 PM »
Has anyone had their hoffa's fatpad removed or trimmed? What are your results?

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 73
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Re: Hoffa's Fatpad
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 09:30:52 PM »
Has anyone had their hoffa's fatpad removed or trimmed? What are your results?

Scope #1 out of 3 was medial plica excision and trimming of the fat pad. The surgery was a slow recovery of over 18 months with a flare up around the fat pad with anterior knee pain. Had to have a cortisone injection to calm and numb the pain pre-op and post-op. Do know that the fat pad acts as a shock absorber for the knee that is very close to the nerves. Complete removal of then fat pad will make the knee worse rather than better.

Have had problems with excessive scarring around the patella tendon which is why my OS had to go in twice to remove the scar tissue performing a AIR surgery. My third surgery in January 2018 my patella tendon was so scared up that I had to have decompression of the patella tendon to remove then scar tissue and bone spurs with a slight lateral meniscus tear repair. Leg and knee brace for 7 weeks is not very practical with limited mobility, wearing the brace 24/7 is not fun but it has to be done to recover in the best possible way.

From what I have read on KG members postings and medical knee problem journals online trimming of the fat pad, plica excision and lateral release surgery often end up being a failure rather than a success. Soft tissue injuries and overuse problems are hard to get right again once it reaches past the acute stages to chronic knee pain. 

[email protected]
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline James NZ

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 05:25:40 PM »
Thanks Clarkey, my pain is all in the fatpad. I have found operations where they trim it or remove it. Yes it is richly inervated with nerves so not nice when it is agrivated. Have you found anyone to get relief from fatpad surgery alone? I have spoken to a KG member who recovered from it with surgery.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 73
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 06:22:54 PM »
Thanks Clarkey, my pain is all in the fatpad. I have found operations where they trim it or remove it. Yes it is richly inervated with nerves so not nice when it is agrivated. Have you found anyone to get relief from fatpad surgery alone? I have spoken to a KG member who recovered from it with surgery.

Hi James,

There always a 50/50 chance of success or failure when going through any type of knee surgery. It is your choice at the end of the day, hopefully will be one of the lucky ones with a successful surgery of fat pad trim or removal. If it is stopping you from being able to run and compete in sporting activities then can take a risk and gamble having surgery. After all conservative methods have failed. Strapping cold ice, ultrasound and TENS therapy and a cortisone injection then surgery would be considered as the last option.

I was told by some KG members not to risk having a 3rd scope on my right knee! Glad I went ahead with the surgery in January. It has not really made much difference remaining the same as it was pre-op. At least I know that I tried all the treatment options available. There was a few problems found inside the knee once my OS could take a detailed look with his camera. A lot more accurate in my view the surgeons eye rather than relying entirely on MRI scan images.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do next, it your body and choice if you want to go ahead with surgery if it puts your mind more at ease. Recovery is slow and tedious with quad shrinkage guaranteed! Never been able to get my right quads large again in comparison to my left none operated knee. Takes time to build the quads up with guidance from a sport physiotherapist. Are better than standard hospital PT's if it the NHS with cutbacks in the UK, from personal experience even if you have to pay private worth the expense.

[email protected]
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline Strongknees

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 02:39:27 PM »
Hi James,

Have you made any progress with this? I am fighting this horrible thing and I have now been proposed some localised steroid injections. Have you looked into that before surgery?

Good Luck

support