Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ???????? RE acl surgery scheduled  (Read 757 times)

Offline KRTRKVR

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
???????? RE acl surgery scheduled
« on: April 14, 2004, 04:50:19 PM »
Hi All,

Finally have a date to fix my knee, I am going to have acl recon w/allograft.  Aftr all I have read on this site I am suprised that my OS does things differently.  He told me that I would be weightbearing as much as tolerated the day of the outpatient surgery, no CPM machine, 6 month rehab in their program specifically for ACL recon.
He said the quicker that I use the knee the better off I will be.  I am just wondering if this is a new protocol with ACL recon or am I a guinea pig for the OS practice. Most of what I read has patients on CPM and no weight bearing for at least a few days.  What were the procedures followed on all you other kneegeeks.

thanks for your input.

Mar

Offline Beauzer

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • I want to become the person my dog thinks I am
Re: ???????? RE acl surgery scheduled
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2004, 05:09:28 PM »
Hi,

I had a hammy ACL in 98.  I was weight-bearing as tolerated the day of surgery and off crutches completely in 3 days.  I did have a CPM machine, though.  My OS was a big believer in early PT (which started, aggressively, the first postop day).  There are different schools of thought concerning CPM and early vs. later rehab.  Folks requiring NWB typically have a cartilage or meniscus injury and not just the ACL recon, though.

Danielle ;)
32 - R knee gone to hell
lat. meniscus 94
ACL, chondroplasty 98
Chondroplasty 99
Screw fell out into joint, med. meniscus, microfracture 99
MCL/med. capsule recon, med. meniscus 00
Chondroplasty 04
Chrondroplasty 1/05
OATS 4/05 for OCD lesion
AVN, MFC fracture 10/05