Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Plica removal after ACL surgery  (Read 517 times)

Offline footballplayer23

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Plica removal after ACL surgery
« on: August 14, 2018, 01:04:34 PM »
Hello,

I had my ACL reconstructed with hamstring graft in January of 2017. During the recovery process, my knee never stopped hurting, so me and my OS decided to do another arthroscopy. He removed a thickened plica and said everything else looked normal. The surgery was at the end of March this year. I still have the same trouble as before. My knee hurts below the patella, is a little swollen, and what worries me the most, feels unstable. The instability issue started one month before last surgery. I think the reconstructed ACL isn't working properly, otherwise I wouldn't have stability problems. I did the arthtometer tests, but they showed that side-to-side difference is below 3 mm, which was OK, according to the examiner. But it feels exactly the opposite. I didn't have so much stability and pain issues when my ACL was fully torn, actually I could be reasonably active, but now I can't even take a step without pain. I regret having the reconstructive surgery so much.

Does anybody have any idea what could be wrong with my knee? I am not seeing a doctor until next month, they didn't even give me a check-up with my OS. I was a very active footballer, but I have been suffering way too long with this knee injury, and I can not  even think to imagine I will ever play football again or run.

Thanks for your replies,

Footballer

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 372
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Plica removal after ACL surgery
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 02:09:08 PM »
Can you see a sports Physio for a thorough assessment?
Could be muscle weakness or imbalance around the knee but also potentially anywhere between your core and feet!

Were you diligent with rehab after the recent and prior surgeries?

Unfortunately, to get a knee back to at least something close to normal, it takes immense hard work, time and patience  (indeed after a big surgery like ACLr it may never be as it was)

Find a Physio with expertise rehabbing knee surgeries esp ACL
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline footballplayer23

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Plica removal after ACL surgery
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 05:12:55 PM »
I was very diligent with rehab after the reconstruction, but the pain never went away. Then the instability started more than one year after the surgery as my muscles were quite developed. After the last surgery I tried to get back to training but after pratice knee felt even weaker as my muscles were tired so I stopped. The instability thing is driving me crazy, I can endure the pain, but this constant feeling that my knee will give out at almost every step, is something I didn't imagine would be happening after reconstruction, as I didn't have these problems when my ACL was torn. I even played some basketball with caution back then.

I do not remember any incident which could have stretched my ACL graft, and I have been told that I would remember such a thing, as the force required to injure the graft would have to be quite large. Also my OS said the graft was fine when he examined it during last arthroscopy and the only thing he could find was a quite large infrapatellar plica, which he removed. I've been thinking since I've been in pain for such a long time, maybe muscles around the knee cannot work properly and involuntary relax because of the pain, so it makes it seem like my knee is not stable. But my common sense points to non-functional graft as I've been in worse pain after the first surgery, but didn't have instability issues. Maybe I unknowingly stretched it and surgeon didn't think it was clinically important. It's quite a mystery for me.

I will try to push for a MRI scan, so we can see what is going on inside the knee. Also I still feel pain where my hamstring was harvested, but this is not something that is bothering me so much, the pain in the front of the knee is the real problem. The hamstring pain will probably take some time to subside, as the tendons are still regenerating.

Anyway, thanks for your reply. I will try to find some Physio who specializes in ACL surgeries.