Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Should I start physiotherapy with a broken kneecap?  (Read 232 times)

Offline chezismael

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Should I start physiotherapy with a broken kneecap?
« on: July 17, 2018, 02:10:30 AM »
Hey! Hope you're all well. I will try to keep this short. Here's my story:
- Patellar fracture on June 1st; conservative treatment: brace to avoid knee flexion for six weeks
- 2 week x-ray: virtually no changes
- Today (6 weeks after fracture): fracture remains the same (annoying!)

I immediately contacted a friend who's a resident in orthopedics and he advised to start rehabilitation as soon as possible even with the fracture still there. This seems counterproductive to me though as I was advised not to flex my knee to allow it to heal. Did anyone else go through something similar? Also, should I be worried my fracture line is still the same after six weeks or is this normal?

Thanks for reading!

Offline Kitkat766

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 9
Re: Should I start physiotherapy with a broken kneecap?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 03:44:58 AM »
That seems really frustrating! I canít say Iíve broken my knee cap but I have definitely had injuries that have taken way longer than they Ďshouldí of to healed!

In terms of seeing a PT, they may be suggesting other forms of rehab for now that donít include bending your knee such as strengthening around the knee (ie. quads, glutes, calves) and also releasing some of the muscle tightness.

Not sure if itís possible but, maybe passing on your films to your resident ortho friend - he might be able to have a chat with other residence or even their superior as an interesting case.

From personal experience, if your still in the same situation at around the 10 week mark, I would definitely get a second opinion on the scans!!

Good luck, it sounds painful!!

Offline chezismael

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Should I start physiotherapy with a broken kneecap?
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 03:52:26 AM »
That seems really frustrating! I canít say Iíve broken my knee cap but I have definitely had injuries that have taken way longer than they Ďshouldí of to healed!

In terms of seeing a PT, they may be suggesting other forms of rehab for now that donít include bending your knee such as strengthening around the knee (ie. quads, glutes, calves) and also releasing some of the muscle tightness.

Not sure if itís possible but, maybe passing on your films to your resident ortho friend - he might be able to have a chat with other residence or even their superior as an interesting case.

From personal experience, if your still in the same situation at around the 10 week mark, I would definitely get a second opinion on the scans!!

Good luck, it sounds painful!!

Thanks for your reply! Sorry to hear you've been through something similar. It is really frustrating! And I think you might be right, it might be that I need rehab without flexing my knee yet. It is amazing how quickly muscular atrophy occurs when you don't use your muscles for a while. I just want my normal life back though! It's been hell being so dependent for so many things. Anyway, thanks again!