Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Oh Crap!!  I've got Rheumatoid Arthritis !?!?  (Read 13955 times)

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 96
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
Re: Oh Crap!!  I've got Rheumatoid Arthritis !?!?
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2002, 02:08:22 AM »
Keep in mind that one can have common knee things at the same time as uncommon autoimmune things ...

An anecdote - for what it is worth ...
Many years ago, in England, as a young doctor, I was familiar with some rather obscure research about RA being caused (maybe 'triggered') by what seemed to be an infection, and at the time it was mooted that this infecting organism might be an amoeba. It seemed that frequently a perfectly healthy person would suddenly have an acute flu-like illness, then inflammation of multiple joints, and then much later the type of joint destruction of RA.  This was largely poo-poohed at the time, but other people became interested and started to look at other rather unusual infecting organisms, like rickettsia.
I had worked in Africa, where tick-bite fever is common, and was familiar with rickettsia.
Anyway, to cut a long story short, one day, out of the blue, I woke up with the small joints of all my fingers and feet swollen and painful.  I could not remove my ring. My ankles pained so much that walking to the bathroom was miserable. I felt flu-ey.  Everthing in me screamed 'RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS'!
I put myself straight onto some metronidazole (which I had in the house at the time) and which is used for the  type of infection I have been referring to.  Within two days I was fine.  Several weeks later, I bumped into a friend, who told me that at about the same time she had had a similar episode and now she had been diagnosed with RA.  
I told her of this theory, and she bullied her GP into prescribing the metronidazole antibiotic, too.  Everything settled down so rapidly that the GP's nurse phoned.  She had also had the same problem at the same time, and had very rapidly progressed to deformity in her fingers and wrists.  She also took metronidazole and also had a sudden remission.
Don't take my word for it. Read up about this and see if it is substantiated.
I had a second bout some years later, did the same thing, and again it settled.
Anecdotal - but still ...
Postscript - the doctor first describing this said that often people have a day or two on the antibiotic where they feel worse, and then the improvement is often dramatic. I cannot remember his name - he was a professor from the UK.
--
KNEEguru

Offline Lori

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • Super Lori :-p
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2002, 02:17:02 AM »
Well Rhea...I get the same popping/cracking in my ankles. I am stiff and sore all over!!! Hands, fingers, wrists, elbows, shoulders, hips, ankles, knees, neck, and back!!! Little bit in the toes....My fingers and hands are especially weak and achy these past couple days. I also get the sharp pain sometimes in between the sore and achy. They already ruled out JRA b/c I had no rash and no high fever...just low grade. Whats the difference between JRA and RA anyways?? I have never had bone scans or x-rays for this. Just the one blood test that comes out negative for 20 % or 40%...figure which one...of people who have RA. I dont know why I never thought of it before...but my neck pain has been the longest...I always thought it was from my bad posture...but maybe not. There is also a possibility of being fibromyalgia. Obviously for the last 10 weeks I have had the malaise (def not feeling right) with the low grade fever...stiffness,etc... We called my GP to see if he would get me in earlier to the rhumatologist. He is going to call tomorrow and see. Although fibromyalgia can be cause by physical trauma to the body...possibly 4 surgeries in two years could do it...one being a MAJOR knee surgery and one being an extremely MAJOR neck surgery. I will look up the info you sent me though. All the rhumatologists are booked till sept and oct...one got me in at the end of aug..right when school starts..ggrr...so hopefully i can get in earlier!!! I'm sorry you have to wait so long!!! Well keep hangin in there and keep researching...LOL...what summer fun!!! Only 20 days till I move out...aahhh!!! :)

Take care girl!
Lori
12/00 Plica Excision(L)
7/01 LR(L)
5/02 Distal Realignment with Oblique Osteotomy(L)
9/02 Cortisone Injection(L)
12/02 Garbage Removal (Shredded Tissue,etc) B/c My Kneecap Was Not Even Visible(L)

Offline khaoskat

• Forum Faithful
  • LK - Partial M & L Menisectomy; Loose Body Removal
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2002, 08:49:22 AM »
Rhea:

Check out the following site.  You might have to scroll down through some of the stuff, but it has some RA sites.

Khaoskat

http://owl.orthogate.org/orthpat.html#Knee%20Problems

Offline rhea

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.......
    • Budgie Love!
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2002, 02:40:59 AM »
Thanks KNEEguru for your reply!  Im doing some research to see if I can route up anything more on that.  I emailed you too about your post and concerning some problems new users are running into trying to become a member.

Khaoskat, thank you for the great link!  Lots of  good stuff there!  Thanks again and I hope your hamstring is feeling better!

Lori,  I would do some research into fibromyalgia.  Im glad to hear they ruled out JRA for you.  That's a GOOD thing.  I hope they hurry up and get you diagnosed and fixed up though!  Boy.....

Thank you again everyone!  This board is so wonderful and supportive...I dont know what I'd do without it!

rhea
7 yrs of knee troubles (maltracking, maybe plica).  
Finally found wonderful OS(#4)!
Diagnostic scope+biopsy schduled for sept 23,2003  
HMS/EDS III
Chronic joint pain,subluxations,microtraumas...

Offline TimJ

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2002, 03:24:12 AM »
Hi Rhea-

Unfortunately, I might be in the same boat as you...I see a Rheumatologist on Aug. 13th, so I'll find out then.  My fourth OS, after actually listening (what a concept!) asked if a rheumatology workup had been done...I looked at him like he was crazy and said no (I'm only 26 - too young for arthiritis, right?) and he was amazed.  Not excited by the prospect, but it would be nice to know what was wrong...good luck!

Offline Shazinoz

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'Day from Australia
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2002, 03:14:58 PM »
Join the Club,
I have had Juvinile Rheumatoid Arthritis since I was 12 and yes it can be tested for with blood tests (ANA and CRP)etc.
I also have a family history of autoimmune diseases such as Raynauds (which I have), Sjogrens (Mother), SLE - Lupus (Grandfather and Mother), Cryoglobulanaemic Vasculitis (Mother) and I am sure there are more too. My JRA was in my sacro-illiac joint of my right hip.
I also have an Ehlers Danlos type hypermobility connective tissue collagen disorder and RSD (aren't I the lucky one !!!!!!!!!!)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2002, 03:17:07 PM by Shazinoz »
2 ACL 'reco's', 3 'scopes', Pain, JRA, EDS, RSD, CMP, osetochondral defect & #, synovitis, adhesions, nerve damage, foot drop, MCL damage, tendonitis, fibrosis, ligament damage AGAIN, dislocations +++

Offline rhea

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.......
    • Budgie Love!
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2002, 10:11:28 PM »
Sorry to hear that you are suspecting RA to be the root of some of your problems TimJ.  I still haven't been able to get into a rheumy.  My naturopath is working on it but, as always, there aren't enough of them to go around.  GRRRRR I hate this!  Yesterday my knees were so bad I had to take 3 tylenol 2s, and that still didn't do it so I had to take 2 toroadol as well just to take the edge off the pain enough so I could sleep.   I hope you get into a rheumy soon.  Don't worry, if it is RA there are many effective treatments and drugs out there.  They're making more progress in RA than in any other disease!!  

Jeez Shazinoz!  You've certainly got more than your share of troubles!   I hope you get all of your ailments under control.  Does your hip still bug you?  From my research on JRA, over 1/2 of people who have it don't have it show on blood tests or bone scans.   And for adult RA 20 percent of people don't have it show.  So I guess all of these tests my Drs. place so much faith in aren't that great afterall.  

Goodluck in getting your health sorted out.

Thanks again everyone!!  

(((hugs)))

rhea
7 yrs of knee troubles (maltracking, maybe plica).  
Finally found wonderful OS(#4)!
Diagnostic scope+biopsy schduled for sept 23,2003  
HMS/EDS III
Chronic joint pain,subluxations,microtraumas...

support