Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: How and when to shower after surgery  (Read 184 times)

Offline Walls

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
How and when to shower after surgery
« on: July 07, 2018, 11:02:44 AM »
Hi all. Iím 9 days post op on a  quad tear repair and Iím desperate to have a shower.

Iíve been given one of those shower socks to put over my leg but it doesnít cover the leg brace. Tbh Iím a little scared of taking the brace off for any time at the moment.

How safe is it or should I just be patient?

Thanks

Offline PwordsB

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 10
Re: How and when to shower after surgery
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 04:28:59 PM »
Never risk hurting yourself for a shower.

What sort of shower do you have? Walk in, or over the bath? When I last had surgery, I had an over the bath shower, so the best way I found to shower once the wound was healed was to sit myself on the side of the bath, holding onto the sink (you could probably put a chair there to hold onto if your sink isn't placed so conveniently), then shoot myself with the shower. I span around to do the next side. It worked pretty well for me.

For my next operations, I'm in a new place with a walk in shower. My plan is to sit myself in the shower and just shower sitting down.

Floors get very slippery and so does everything you touch in there, so I would always try to be seated whilst showering until weight bearing and slipping is okay.
Snowboard injury 21/01/16
Open cartilage graft (Chondrotissue) 29/06/16
Sub-total lateral meniscectomy, LTP cartilage removal 20/01/17
11mm Closing Medial DFO and LTP Microfracture 10/08/18

Offline BornToRun

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 24
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 04:51:37 PM »
You could try cling film to also cover your brace? Though that would be a lot of cling film! I used it over my dressings post op and then over physio tape when I wanted to keep it on a few days, and it worked well. If you have a shower over the bath, like we do, you can buy benches that you can install over the bath for about £20 online. They help in several ways: you can get in more easily, you can sit safely when showering, and you can keep your surgical leg away from the water if you sit on it with your back to the shower. I still use mine 3 months post op, together with a non slip bath mat.
If you have a walk in shower you can buy a cheap plastic stool and use the same trick, i.e. sit with your back to the shower and your surgical leg away from the water.
Very best of luck!.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 04:58:09 PM by BornToRun, Reason: Typo »
6 Mar 2018 - skiing fall, ACL rupture, MCL and LCL sprain, lateral meniscus tear and bone bruising
13 Apr 2018 - ACL reconstruction with hamstring autograft, small meniscus repair

Offline keremakaln

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 11:08:52 PM »
Hey,

I had my first shower after 4 days when my dressings are removed. Since the stitches were not needed to be removed (they went away under running water) I did not need the cling film thing. But I recommend to you to buy a nonskid pad under your shower or bath. On the other hand if you have bath I suggest you (and of course no one) to wait a little because you do not want to hurt your knee again. 

I wish you will get better soon.
26.5.18 LK Trauma Bike Accident; Tore MCL,ACL, Bucket Handle Meniscus
13.6.18 LK Surgery; ACLr, Meniscus Repair, Internal Brace to MCL