Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: PFJR post op activity  (Read 13781 times)

Offline silver_maple

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 12
  • Protect your knees
Re: PFJR post op activity
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2021, 06:33:35 PM »
I guess today's the day, Dave. Best wishes for a smooth recovery, fellow canuck (and same town to boot). When you can, please let us know how you are doing. Your right PFJR had some swelling initially and emitted lots of sounds, would be good to compare with the left now. Did you go to the same surgeon, exact same procedure and implant (Zimmer I think you had on the right)? Or have things moved on a bit in the intervening 3 years? At some point you showed interest in HemiCap Wave, not sure if this is offered in Toronto.

Anyway, all the best. Hope you are back in the saddle of your Cervelo soon!
2019 - Chondromalacia patella gr 1-2, both knees; early bilateral tibio-femoral arthritis; 5mm focal chondral lesion (LK); degenerate meniscus tear (RK)
2020 - PRP x3 in RK
2021 - PRP x3 in RK, PRP x1 in LK

Offline Dave33

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 24
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2021, 06:01:10 PM »
Hi Dave - I may not have caught you before you go to hospital. Good luck. Let's hope you have as good a result as the other one. Regards.

All good, RGB. Went pretty smooth. They had me stay overnight, but released me pretty early yesterday, so I was back home by noon. Got behind on the pain meds (2nd time I've made this mistake) so was a bit rough last night.. not a lot of sleeping. Seems under control now. I think it's because they lecture so hard on the dangers of opioids (quite rightly) so one tries to get by with less than they truly need. At any rate, it's done, I'm hobbling around ok, and can't wait to get back on the bike!

How are things going for you these days? Knee still holding up?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 06:15:42 PM by Dave33 »

Offline Dave33

• Regular Poster
« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2021, 06:14:40 PM »
Hope you are back in the saddle of your Cervelo soon!

Thanks silver, appreciate it. Yup, same surgeon, same implant, even got the same hospital room and bed post-op. If I have the same result, I'll be pleased! Cheers

Offline RGB

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2021, 02:04:01 AM »
Good news. Yes - I know what you mean about opioids. I was on them for a couple of weeks I think. Panadol for much longer - maybe 6 weeks. I also stopped Panadol earlier but the physio told me that was counterproductive - I'd stop using the knee as much as I should. So I went back onto it. He was right.

The knee is still fantastic in comparison to pre-op. Of course, I focus on what I can't do rather than what I can. That list is pretty short and is getting more dominated by increasing age than knee specific limitations. So I mountain bike around 2x per week, 2-3 hours per session. Lots of steep up hill and Grade 5/6 downhills with a few drops. I avoid the gap jumps for reasons related to age and fear rather than the knee specifically. I'm currently fighting the temptation to buy an e-mountain bike. Beautiful machine but the price of a car and all so I keep less fit. Maybe once I'm 60 - less than a year away! Will also require partner consent, which I'm unlikely to get.
Also, lots of general walking around because I have a rural property to maintain. I can ski pretty well although not for an extended period. If I ski hard all day I need to take the next day or two off.

Generally, I just need to be careful about long or repeated activity. If I cross the threshold the knee swells a bit. If that happens, there's very little pain - I just lose strength and it takes a couple of weeks on Celebrex to bring it all back under control.

Please keep us updated and I look forward to your reports of increased activity once you can get back on the bike. Best regards.

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 68
« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2021, 06:06:02 PM »
Well, tomorrow I'm booked for my 2nd PJFR, after a year of false starts and stops and covid interruptions.

In a way, I'm less stressed about it, as I know what to expect in terms of both the procedure and the result, but on the other hand, the enthusiasm for going through it all isn't quite as high.

Anyway, hoping for 3-4 month recovery, like my last one. If anyone is considering the procedure, and has any questions, fire away.
cheers

Great to read (in a later post) that your surgery went well :) Looking forward to your updates on the recovery and everything down the road. Take care!
RK sharp pain while running, diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 6/09
RK arthroscopic chondroplasty 9/09
RK rehab, recovery, 90% normal, started running again -> back to square one 5/15
RK diagnosis patellofemoral arthritis + LK diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 8/15 -> conservative treatment

Offline Dave33

• Regular Poster
« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2021, 02:45:36 AM »
Please keep us updated and I look forward to your reports of increased activity once you can get back on the bike. Best regards.

Great stuff, RGB. Sounds like the implant is functioning at the same level as before, despite the miles you've put on it. Terrific. I spoke to a tech at the hospital before I left, and he mentioned he's never seen a pfjr worn out. I told him I'd be doing my utmost to try, and he told me he'd still make the bet that I wouldn't succeed. Here's hoping he's right.
Regarding the E-bike, go for it. Life is too damn short.

Let see, I'm at 7 days, off all drugs, bending to 90 degrees, walking around the house slowly, but with no cane/crutches- took the dog for a short walk outside today. Swelling when upright is still the bugbear, but overall, feeling good. I'm going to introduce some no to low resistance stationary cycling starting tomorrow. Insomnia bothersome, but I chalk that up to the anesthesia still working it's way out, and all the sitting.

So all signs point to a pretty quick recovery. My goal is to get back on the ice by February.

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 68
« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2021, 04:26:47 PM »
I spoke to a tech at the hospital before I left, and he mentioned he's never seen a pfjr worn out.

This statement is in line with what I've read in several studies on PFJRs, i.e. that it is typically not component failure/wear that is the problem in the end, but rather progression of arthritis in the tibiofemoral compartments, which is the reason for why revision into TKRs is needed eventually.

Let see, I'm at 7 days, off all drugs, bending to 90 degrees, walking around the house slowly, but with no cane/crutches- took the dog for a short walk outside today. Swelling when upright is still the bugbear, but overall, feeling good.

I'm impressed, sounds like you will have a quite quick recovery after all, awesome :)
RK sharp pain while running, diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 6/09
RK arthroscopic chondroplasty 9/09
RK rehab, recovery, 90% normal, started running again -> back to square one 5/15
RK diagnosis patellofemoral arthritis + LK diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 8/15 -> conservative treatment