Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: MPFL recovery  (Read 610 times)

Offline Jasper151

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
MPFL recovery
« on: June 22, 2018, 09:51:14 PM »
New to the forum and looking for some help.

I had MPFL reconstruction surgery yesterday and was not quite prepared for how much pain I would be in. Iím also struggling to bend my knee, but I do still have it bandaged up until tomorrow.

Any insight into how quickly the pain will subside and Iíll be more mobile? Iím taking all the painkillers they have prescribed and I am trying to be as mobile as possible. I know itís only day 1 but Iím not sure how long I can cope with it as it is!

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 371
  • Neelie knee!
Re: MPFL recovery
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 10:08:31 PM »
 Are you meant to be trying to bend so soon? What did surgeon and Physio say

Your knee has had a massive trauma, itís going to hurt for some time. Stay on top of the pain meds, also through the night. Ice for pain and swelling relief, try to elevate above the heart and while lying flat support calf and ankle rather than knee. While sleeping, you may find it better to lie on good side with pillow between knees to support the operated one.

Drink loads of water and have plenty of fibre to stave off constipation from the anaesthetic and meds

Good luck. Itíll get better with time.  Just rest for the next week as much as possible, moving around as per the surgeon and Physio protocols.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 10:10:13 PM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Jasper151

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 10:15:36 PM »
Physio told me to bend as much as possible and to straighten so it doesnít get right. Surgeon was happy for me to engage my quad as much as possible straight away. I was supposed to be having the patella moved down by taking out part of the shin bone and unfortunately they couldnít do that when they were in my knee, but in hindsight Iím glad they couldnít as that would be even more painful!

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 371
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 10:26:44 PM »
Just going to have to grit your teeth unfortunately. Ice will be helpful once the compression bandage is gone. Why couldnít they do the osteotomy? But yes bone work is the painful bit

Once you get the swelling down, pain and range should improve
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Jasper151

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 10:50:35 PM »
Unfortunately they found arthritis is my knee and there was more damage than they thought so decided against the bone work. There is a small chance I may have to have it done in the future as the surgeon wasnít 100% confident that the MPFL will work. Iím hoping that itís the swelling making it difficult to bend rather than anything else!