Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Down the dumps  (Read 591 times)

Offline BenAldridge0

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 2
Down the dumps
« on: June 20, 2018, 08:56:24 PM »
Good afternoon all,

I had a particularly discouraging day yesterday with the medical field. My new surgeon is one of the team doctors for a local NHL team and I was really excited to work with him, but I think he's sick of me already.

I sent him an email with some of my research, and he negated a majority of it, simply saying he had no interest in follow up arthroscopy (but I never made a direct request for follow up arthroscopy). Then, without my consent, he contacted the old facility to contact me about my knee. The issue that I expressed to him, ironically, was that I trusted him the most. In fact, I was referred to this facility to get more help. By contacting my old facility, he was essentially telling me to go back to the very same doctors and tell them they may have made a mistake,, and maybe they could do it again.  This is a direct conflict of interest!

Anyways, Kaiser is essentially sick of me. I have been doing pt off and on for 14 months with zero improvement in the limitations of my knee. I suspect that I may have a partially torn meniscus, and I've researched that left unfixed, this can lead to early onset osteoarthritis. To make matters more complicated, I've dealt with a host of health issues in the past year, and don't have the flexibility of seeing a different dr (Dr. Dye, who seems to be the only local person I could trust). 2 years ago, I was a passionate, up and coming swing dancer, and now, as a 30 year old, I can barely go for a walk, and I'm sleeping on my downstairs futon to avoid the stairs as much as possible. It feels like I have a ticking timebomb in my right knee, and there's quite literally nowhere I can go as things presently stand.  No clear solution for my issue, but I just needed to vent.

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 42
Re: Down the dumps
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 02:51:12 PM »
I'm sure many of us recognize the same feeling. One day you can do anything and life is great, and the other day (after knee problems start) you can barely walk and life is a struggle. It sucks!

However, if I remember correctly, you have a clean MRI and they found nothing wrong during arthroscopy, so chances that something has been missed are slim I would say. That is not to say that you cannot have serious problems despite no structural damage. But I think key here is to try to remember that chances of a full recovery without any structural damage are so much better, and that is at least some kind of silver lining in this case.

Also, keep venting, it helps :)
RK sharp pain while running, diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 6/09
RK arthroscopic chondroplasty 9/09
RK rehab, recovery, 90% normal, started running again -> back to square one 5/15
RK diagnosis patellofemoral arthritis + LK diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 8/15 -> conservative treatment

support