Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Is My Swelling Permanent?  (Read 1427 times)

Offline Ms. Bee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Is My Swelling Permanent?
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2018, 08:38:42 PM »
I would like to know if anyone else has had this experience. Excessive swelling in knee months after surgery.
I have never had any problems with my knees, I considered myself very lucky, as I would hear friends talk about their knee problems. 1-1/2 yrs. ago I started having pain on the inner side of my knee. I thought maybe I tweaked it as I am always moving extremely fast. I wore a brace for a few months, only to end up having an MRI months later. I was told I had an old tear in my ACL and a small tear in my meniscus. The Dr. asked me what event could have torn my ACL. This is strange, as I never had any pain or an incident to cause a tear, so how can I have a tear? I went in for my 1st surgery to repair both problems, the Dr. told me that the ACL appeared normal and healthy from the exterior view, once he pulled the ACL back, in interior portion was thinned and looked like "Swiss Cheese". A donor Achilles tendon was used to repair my ACL, also the meniscus was trimmed. I had a tremendous amount of swelling & pain, but I was pushing through my PT and doing well. As I progressed, the swelling didn't subside, it only got worse, so did the tightness in my knee. I could not get the full range of motion due to the swelling. I was put on Prednisone and had Cortisone shots when off of the Prednisone, those helped (but the swelling never went down significantly). Once the Prednisone/Cortisone was out of my system, the swelling was back in full force. The weight bearing exercise I could do after surgery, now made my knee extremely swollen and painful. 4 months after my 1st surgery, I had another MRI, which showed that I had fibrous synovium.
My 2nd surgery, 5 months after my 1st surgery was to remove the scar tissue. The Dr. removed a lot of scar tissue, which he said was adhered to my skin, I was told that it was not normal for scar tissue to adhere to the skin in that way, especially when there was no incision, trauma ect. My knee felt that it was fully extending ect. right after surgery (kind of felt like everything was going back to normal). Unfortunately, that was short-lived, the swelling has returned and still causing me a tremendous amount of pain when pushed to full flexion & extension.
Long story, short, I am now seeing my primary care & a rheumatologist because my swelling is still out of control and blood work taken 2 months after 2nd surgery show very high inflammation in my body. 2nd set of blood work taken 3 wks later show inflammation in my body is down, but my knee is still swollen beyond what is normal for this stage of my recovery. I can't be on my feet more than 45 mins to 1 hr. a day or the pain & swelling becomes unbearable. My blood work is not showing anything unusual as far as inflammation but my WBC is 11.2 K (normal range is 4.0-11.0 K/ul) & my DRVVT Screening is 46 (normal range is < OR = 45).
Can anyone share some similar experiences or insight? I just want to be able to walk normally and do the things I used to do. Feeling scared and don't know what to do.

Offline Geronimo

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 8
Re: Is My Swelling Permanent?
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2018, 01:46:47 AM »
I would like to know if anyone else has had this experience. Excessive swelling in knee months after surgery.
I have never had any problems with my knees, I considered myself very lucky, as I would hear friends talk about their knee problems. 1-1/2 yrs. ago I started having pain on the inner side of my knee. I thought maybe I tweaked it as I am always moving extremely fast. I wore a brace for a few months, only to end up having an MRI months later. I was told I had an old tear in my ACL and a small tear in my meniscus. The Dr. asked me what event could have torn my ACL. This is strange, as I never had any pain or an incident to cause a tear, so how can I have a tear? I went in for my 1st surgery to repair both problems, the Dr. told me that the ACL appeared normal and healthy from the exterior view, once he pulled the ACL back, in interior portion was thinned and looked like "Swiss Cheese". A donor Achilles tendon was used to repair my ACL, also the meniscus was trimmed. I had a tremendous amount of swelling & pain, but I was pushing through my PT and doing well. As I progressed, the swelling didn't subside, it only got worse, so did the tightness in my knee. I could not get the full range of motion due to the swelling. I was put on Prednisone and had Cortisone shots when off of the Prednisone, those helped (but the swelling never went down significantly). Once the Prednisone/Cortisone was out of my system, the swelling was back in full force. The weight bearing exercise I could do after surgery, now made my knee extremely swollen and painful. 4 months after my 1st surgery, I had another MRI, which showed that I had fibrous synovium.
My 2nd surgery, 5 months after my 1st surgery was to remove the scar tissue. The Dr. removed a lot of scar tissue, which he said was adhered to my skin, I was told that it was not normal for scar tissue to adhere to the skin in that way, especially when there was no incision, trauma ect. My knee felt that it was fully extending ect. right after surgery (kind of felt like everything was going back to normal). Unfortunately, that was short-lived, the swelling has returned and still causing me a tremendous amount of pain when pushed to full flexion & extension.
Long story, short, I am now seeing my primary care & a rheumatologist because my swelling is still out of control and blood work taken 2 months after 2nd surgery show very high inflammation in my body. 2nd set of blood work taken 3 wks later show inflammation in my body is down, but my knee is still swollen beyond what is normal for this stage of my recovery. I can't be on my feet more than 45 mins to 1 hr. a day or the pain & swelling becomes unbearable. My blood work is not showing anything unusual as far as inflammation but my WBC is 11.2 K (normal range is 4.0-11.0 K/ul) & my DRVVT Screening is 46 (normal range is < OR = 45).
Can anyone share some similar experiences or insight? I just want to be able to walk normally and do the things I used to do. Feeling scared and don't know what to do.

i feel your pain. i have good bloodwork yet swollen knees, for me this has to do with cartilage being injured which irritates the joint.