Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Fulkersons TTT 19th June 18  (Read 854 times)

Offline bunnyup85

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Fulkersons TTT 19th June 18
« on: June 11, 2018, 02:29:27 PM »
Hey,

Iím going in for my Fulkersons operation in a weeks time! Starting to get nervous about it now. Will post in here with how it goes etc

Has anyone had this done recently and could let me know how they have got on and any useful hints or tips.

:)

Offline bunnyup85

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Fulkersons TTT 19th June 18
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 08:52:04 AM »
Well itís the day of the op. Got to the hospital at 7am, have seen the surgeon and anethetist now just waiting to be taken to theatre.

Will update this either later today or tomorrow.

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 40
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 09:19:56 AM »
Good luck with your surgery!
RK sharp pain while running, diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 6/09
RK arthroscopic chondroplasty 9/09
RK rehab, recovery, 90% normal, started running again -> back to square one 5/15
RK diagnosis patellofemoral arthritis + LK diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 8/15 -> conservative treatment

Offline bunnyup85

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 06:56:17 PM »
So I am home after my Fulkerson yesterday.

I have been told the operation went well. I have to be in brace at 30degrees for 4weeks but I am able to weight bear, I start physio in 3 weeks and a follow up appointment with my consultant in 4 weeks when he will then hopefully start to increase the ROM.

When I woke up from surgery the pain was awful but they gave me morphine in the recovery room. Since then I have been keeping up with my painkillers and itís managable. The swelling is just starting to come up so I will be icing like mad!

Offline bunnyup85

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 02:15:32 PM »
So I had my surgery a week ago tomorrow....

I am finding it hard to be limited in what I can do and having to keep my leg straight in driving me mad. I tried to go out in the car a couple of days ago to visit my grandparents, I managed to eventually get in the car but then I couldnít get comfy and it really started to ache and hurt.  We turned round to come home and then I couldnít get out of the car. I honestly thought I was going to be stuck in the car forever! Eventually got myself out and got indoors, had painkillers and a lay down.  I wonít be trying to go out for a little while!

Pain - itís about a 4/5, today is the first time I have dropped the strong pain killers but have stayed with paracetamol and ibuprofen.

Sleep - I seem to be sleeping ok, wake up once or twice but hating having to sleep on my back!

Getting about - I am full weight bearing with crutches and brace locked to 30, getting up and sitting down are the worse. Once I am up and have had a couple of seconds to get used to being up I am not too bad and can get around pretty well.  I was told by the physio in hospital that once I feel able to I will be able to walk around without the crutches which will be nice as I will be able to carry things.

In myself Iím not feeling too bad, frustrated and have a few down moments but then i remember Iím doing this so I can enjoy things with my son and it gets me back on track. 

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 40
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 02:55:01 PM »
Thanks for the update!

Sleep - I seem to be sleeping ok, wake up once or twice but hating having to sleep on my back!

Sleeping on the back is next to impossible :)
RK sharp pain while running, diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 6/09
RK arthroscopic chondroplasty 9/09
RK rehab, recovery, 90% normal, started running again -> back to square one 5/15
RK diagnosis patellofemoral arthritis + LK diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 8/15 -> conservative treatment

Online Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 370
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 02:58:20 PM »
Can you not sleep on your side - on the good leg with a pillow between and bad knee on top of pillow supported by good leg?

Maybe use the stronger meds at night. Codeine or tramadol knock me out!
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Dave33

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 06:29:49 PM »
I've had two of them done (almost 3!), so the best advice I could give is to keep a good regimen of elevation and ice. I did a good job on the first one in this sense, but on the second, I was more lax, and the difference in recovery was substantially slower as a result.

The longer the swelling sticks around, the slower the healing.  - at least in my experience.

Good luck!

Offline bunnyup85

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2018, 11:07:30 AM »
Well Iíve made it to day 11. It seems to be getting better every, the swelling is going down and today I was able to take off the dressings. The two arthroscopy incisions are pretty much healed and the main incision looks pretty neat. There is also minimal bruising.

Pain - 2-3, doesnít hurt as such just aches and at times spasms.
Sleep - still the same, tried on my side with pillows but couldnít get comfy
Mobility- much easier to walk now. Have managed to go out in the car the part 3 days without too much discomfort.

The thing I found today was down the right hand side on my leg from my knee to half way down my shin and to the middle of my leg it feels numb to touch. Itís a very strange feeling that left me feeling a tad quisey!

Roll on 13th July for my first Physio session where hopefully I can start moving it :)

support