Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Patellar Dislocation 1 year after TTO and MPFL Reconstruction  (Read 230 times)

Offline RoseWolf

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hello all!

To give you some background information, I am a 17 year-old female who has struggled with patellar dislocations in my right knee since the age of 8. I had an MPFL Reconstruction at age 13 to try remedy this, but my kneecap began dislocating again only 3 months after that surgery. Last summer, I had a TTO and another MPFL Reconstruction (this time with a cadaver ligament, as we had found out that my own ligaments are naturally very loose). I have been very happy with my knee since then, and I had even began running again, which I hadn't done since I was 12. However, last week, my patella dislocated again because I tripped over a vacuum cord (yes, I am clumsy) and my knee was twisted into a weird position. I can tell my MPFL is stretched out again, and my knee has felt very unstable since then, almost dislocating when I go upstairs or if I bend it too far. When I tighten my inner thigh muscle now, the MPFL is much looser to the touch (it used to be very taut before this dislocation).

The bottom line is my family and I have no clue what to do. I have been in and out of physical therapy for the past 8 years of my life, and while I really do work at my exercises, my doctor says my knee's anatomy is the most screwed-up he has ever seen, so there's only so much exercise can do. Should I go get an MRI (which is expensive), or just wait it out and see if it stabilizes? I am getting the screws from the TTO out this July, and the doctor said he could do another MPFL repair if an MRI indicates a necessity for it, but I don't want to but my family through the financial strain again, or myself through the mental and physical strain of recovering from another surgery. However, I don't like the instability of my knee. It makes me constantly fearful of another dislocation. Please help!

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 42
Re: Patellar Dislocation 1 year after TTO and MPFL Reconstruction
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 08:51:21 AM »
Hi Rose,

Sorry you've had so much trouble with dislocations. Have you asked your doctor whether you should get an MRI, or if he thinks that you can just wait and see if it stabilizes? In other words, what is his opinion on this? An MRI is still relatively cheap and easy to do in the context of everything. If an MRI would indicate that there is no need for a new MPFL repair, then you would have an answer to that. If you're anyways getting a surgery for removing hardware in July, and the doctors says he can fix the MPFL at the same time if necessary, maybe worth getting an MRI ASAP to get some further guidance as to whether a MPFL reconstruction is at all needed?
RK sharp pain while running, diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 6/09
RK arthroscopic chondroplasty 9/09
RK rehab, recovery, 90% normal, started running again -> back to square one 5/15
RK diagnosis patellofemoral arthritis + LK diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 8/15 -> conservative treatment

support