Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: KNEE INJURY? TEAR OR SPRAIN? ADVICE NEEDED!!!!!!!  (Read 394 times)

Offline livinlife

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
KNEE INJURY? TEAR OR SPRAIN? ADVICE NEEDED!!!!!!!
« on: May 31, 2018, 05:29:08 AM »
I was walking in rain and lost balance but didn't fall ( caught my self) but the knee on right side was in pain since that momment..... let it rest out... been 10 days so far.

yes I can walk on it and it hurts all day like aching... I can stretch it, straighten it, and all without pain... but it hurts at times really bad in side of knee and inside.... like bruised feeling.... tried doing bike in gym low intensity and no pain but hurts after... I ice 20 on 20 off 3-5x A day doesn't seem make difference with icing it much.... only on motion pills makes pain go away....

I hope its not a tear in meniscus or ACL. I hope its a sprained knee only.... and I heard it can last 2-4 weeks.... im on 10th day... anyone have idea?

Offline kaylachrist

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 5
Re: KNEE INJURY? TEAR OR SPRAIN? ADVICE NEEDED!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 02:12:58 AM »
Hey livinlife,

I'm a newbie to knee injuries too and got what I initially thought was a sprain in January of this year, though it's likely something else as I'm still having issues with it nearly 6 months later. I'm not very knowledgeable about telling sprains from tears given my own experience, but as someone who wondered "Is this a sprain or a tear?" myself, my best advice is to be very proactive about healing the injury -- meaning, don't be afraid to see a doctor for a full exam and ask them for an x-ray or MRI to help get a more accurate diagnosis. I went to the doctor a few weeks after my injury. He didn't think it was too serious and that it would heal on its own with time, however I wish I'd asked for scans early on that might've saved me months of pain and secondary complications.

I'd give it a few more days of intense rest (no exercise) and anti-inflammatories to see if that helps, and if it still doesn't improve then I'd reach out to an orthopedic surgeon to see what they think. And remember, if you feel you need an x-ray or MRI and can afford it, be sure to ask for it yourself if the doctor doesn't mention it!
Jan '18- Injured RK, age 30
June '18- RK arthroscopy, smoothed out patella cartilage damage
Diagnosed with post-traumatic cartilage lesion and osteonecrosis of lateral femoral condyle

Offline livinlife

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 05:31:09 AM »
Yes im on day 13 and im walking on it but not working out. Restinf it best i can. Icinf 3-5x a day and layin it stright at night. I take motrion and pain is gone its crazy... i just hope to god i dont need surgery

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 376
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 08:11:22 AM »
If it's an MCL (medial, inside) sprain for example, a few months to heal wouldn't be unusual. If you've bruised a bone, it could take 6-12 months to resolve

Icing is good for swelling (did it swell) and inflammation, it'll relieve pain but won't heal a tear. Heat and ice used one after the other can increase blood flow and aid healing

If it's not any better in a few weeks see a doctor or physiotherapist. Try to keep it moving, bend and straighten regularly while sitting and lying, you don't want it stiffening up

Motrin is ibuprofen if I recall, watch out for your stomach if taking regularly, but it's a good sign if a fairly mild med relieves the pain

Good luck :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline livinlife

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 11:11:55 PM »
yes the motion takes the pain right awayyy. amazing but I don't like taking much.... im trying to see what cardio I can do to make it stronger and better.

no was never swollen. but probably just inflammation.

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 376
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 11:21:53 PM »
Have you seen a medical professional?
Best not to go mad in the gym unless you actually know what’s wrong as you could make things worse
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline livinlife

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 04:59:07 AM »
Well its ben 5 weeks. First 3 were hard now no pain to 1 out of 10. Only at nigjt i feel arthethris. U think this is good sign i can walk now and all is well. Will the artherthris go away maybe in another 4-6 weeks?

support