Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Hematoma: bleeding from the incision post-ACL  (Read 212 times)

Offline Amanda - Netherlands

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Hematoma: bleeding from the incision post-ACL
« on: May 30, 2018, 09:33:54 PM »
Posting this because I'm out the other side but could find very little about this while I was bleeding.
- Day 17 post-op my physio therapist vigorously massaged my calf & the hematoma (blood pool lump under my incision); she commented on how she'd never seen a hematoma that big & to consult my doc, who I saw right after. Ortho doc said it was fine and it would "take a long time to go away."
- Day 18 I showered, got the scab & incision wet. The scab peeled back and dark blood began to leak from the wound. It kept at a constant slow stream, day and night. The hematoma began to shrink as the blood flowed.
- Finally, on Day 29, it stopped. The hematoma is now completely gone (6 weeks post-op) and just a dark spot under the scar.
- Though bleeding out the hematoma is not normal and not even necessarily desirable (because an open wound increases chances of infection) it definitely helped my flexibility and calf pain to have the lump disappear so rapidly.

ACL graft/Bucket handle meniscus tear

Offline BornToRun

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 24
Re: Hematoma: bleeding from the incision post-ACL
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 03:52:50 PM »
Hi Amanda, glad to hear you are on the other side of it now. How’s your rehab going? I think our surgeries weren’t too far apart, I’m at 7 weeks now. Fingers crossed that you’re doing well!
6 Mar 2018 - skiing fall, ACL rupture, MCL and LCL sprain, lateral meniscus tear and bone bruising
13 Apr 2018 - ACL reconstruction with hamstring autograft, small meniscus repair