Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Kneecap Dislocation 4 days ago  (Read 697 times)

Offline smith85

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Kneecap Dislocation 4 days ago
« on: June 16, 2018, 11:52:11 PM »
Dislocated on 12 June for the first time.  As I'm researching recovery for this, almost all the threads I'm reading about are people with multiple dislocations.  I read recurrence is about 40%, but it seems more like 90%! 

Feeling so defeated and nervous about this happening again and again.

Also, do the chances of it recurring increase as we age?

Have a 4 month old and would like another, but worried times 100 that it will happen while pregnant...  reading so many stories of others doing the most casual things and it popping out again. 

Female, 33, never had any injuries before.  Want to cry every night!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 10:29:35 PM by smith85 »

Offline leahjg-90

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 3
Re: Kneecap Dislocation 4 days ago
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 04:53:51 PM »
Hi,

I completely understand how you must be feeling (8 right knee dislocations). Try not to let it get to you, as there certainly are things that can be done to prevent / fix recurring dislocations - best to discuss an orthopedic doctor. Where are you based?

With regards to a knee dislocation recovery, it took me approx. 6 weeks (much quicker when I was a teenager, than now at 27). I had lots of physiotherapy and had a brace to restrict movement. Following my first dislocation at 14, I wasn't aware it would continue to cause me problems into my late 20s.

I experienced dislocations since age 14 and have recently had surgery to fix the problem. You are correct that one dislocation can lead to future dislocations - when you dislocate your knee-cap the ligaments that hold your knee-cap in place are torn. There can also be anatomical reasons why knee-caps are prone to dislocations. I have trochlea dysplasia - so my knee-cap doesn't sit in a grove, rather it sits flat. The smallest knocks or twists could, and did, easily knock my knee-cap out.

I had surgery (MPFL reconstruction) 9 weeks ago to re-create the ligament that holds my knee-cap in place, recurrent dislocations had torn this. Feeling really positive about how I have recovered and how secure my knee feels now. I am confident that this has fixed my issue.

With regards to future pregnancies, as I had multiple dislocations and plan to have children in the near future, I decide for surgery - however I have had knee problems since I was a teenager.

After my first dislocation, it was treated conservatively with physiotherapy. As more dislocations happened, I had an MRI and for me, anatomically my knees have underlying abnormalities predisposing me to dislocations. My left knee, has never dislocated (touch wood) despite having the same problems as my right knee.

How did you dislocate your knee?

Please don't let it get to you, I know it's hard... but there are things that can be done! Physiotherapy might work for you - but again, if you are very worried about future dislocations - an MRI could identify potential structural abnormalities which may be indicative of potential surgery.

Any questions, please ask. Knee dislocations have been a big chunk of my life!

Offline smith85

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 07:10:06 PM »
Thanks so much for your reply Leah, I can't imagine how 8 feels.  Right now we are based in Spain!

How are you feeling after the surgery now?  My doctor did an MRI and basically said if it happens again, surgery is an option, for now let's just do physio therapy. 

I finally got the leg type cast off after 3 weeks and am now in another brace.  I don't mind the recoup process (even though slow).... but really scared to death of this happening again!! 

After your first time, did you go to the hospital every time it dislocated?  Or did you relocate it yourself and then see the doctor?

Offline leahjg-90

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 05:52:12 PM »
Hi again :)

I'm almost 12 weeks post op and feeling really positive. I have confidence in my knee again, I'm getting stronger everyday and am relieved/ happy I had this surgery. Life almost feels normal again - lots of strengthening physio still, but I'm back to normal.

Yes, the first time it dislocated was quite severe and I was airlifted to hospital (dislocated on the beach!) It was reduced in hospital for me. I then had multiple dislocations and subluxations in the years to follow, and it popped back in of its own accord. My last dislocation in October 2017, was more severe than the first one - however I was home alone, locked in and without a phone - so had to put it back in myself. Then went to A&E after! I would recommend a professional relocating it, however I have learnt if you straighten your leg it tends to pop back in.

It is scary and I understand your worry of it happening again - but I have gone years and years without any. Then a few all at once. I imagine a consultan would be unlikely to operate after one dislocation... however I have trochlea dysplasia in my knees, my right knee has been operated on. Left knee never dislocated - but as soon as it does it once, because of my history I will have the surgery.

Hope you're recovering well.
Leah :)