Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Thinking about amputation  (Read 389 times)

Offline Tortor373

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Thinking about amputation
« on: May 27, 2018, 04:07:11 AM »
Hello my Name is Tauren, on November 9 2018 I was involved in a horrific motorcycle accident and ended up shattering my right knee cap (Patella) and fractured my femur. I had emergency surgery and they ended up putting 2 plates and 7 pins that I will have for the rest of my life. They also had to stich all of the ligaments to the remaining piece of my patella to keep everything in place. Here is my problem. Itís been six months since and I am in pain everyday. I canít run I can barley ride my motocross bike without not being able to walk for the next few days and riding a sport bike is out of the question. Granted I have gotten about 60% of my movement back I have lost 80% of the things I used to be able to do. Iím 25 years old and do not want to live the rest of my life this way. I donít know anyone else with this problem Iím having so Iím seeking help before I do something that canít be undone. Like amputation above the knee. Iím seriously considering it at this point. Maybe Iím out of my mind and just need to give it more time but I am going crazy and starting to feel depressed because my life is not what it was. Iím asking for serious help and advice so please if someone has any idea how to get more strength and moment and less pain out of this POS leg please help me. Thank you!

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 42
Re: Thinking about amputation
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 09:08:33 AM »
Hi Tauren,

You have had a bad accident and big surgery and, based on what I have read about these major knee damages, such things will take time to recover from. Sometimes it takes up to a year or more for people to recover from way smaller accidents and surgeries than yours. You might very well get back up on your motorbikes and everything in the future, but maybe not as fast as you (understandably) want.

I think you should discuss these things with an experienced physiotherapist, whom also might be able to give you some tips and ideas for how to speed recovery up. But as I said, you just have to realize that this will be a waiting game and that it takes time to heal from such a major thing and be able to do all things again. Also, it is completely normal to get all depressed and everything meanwhile. Many on this forum struggle with example the same feelings. Your reaction is quite normal.

Maybe you can find something else to do meanwhile? Like cars or boats or something that isn't as tough on the knee?  I'm not sure, but didn't Pastrana start with rallying while recovering from some horrible injury that prevented him from riding his motocross bike competitively?
RK sharp pain while running, diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 6/09
RK arthroscopic chondroplasty 9/09
RK rehab, recovery, 90% normal, started running again -> back to square one 5/15
RK diagnosis patellofemoral arthritis + LK diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 8/15 -> conservative treatment

Offline SuspectDevice

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 45
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 11:33:03 PM »
6 months in the knee pain world is a very short time.  I had bilateral PFPS for 5yrs and the chronic pain had me pondering dual amputation too.  But now i'm at 6yrs and my knees are way, way better - I can ride my MTB and am contemplating getting back into short triathlons.  Hang in there & avoid things which aggravate your knee.  It can be a very very slow process but with care & patience, you can get back to your normal life.
L Medial menisectomy 2012
PFPS both knees 2012-2017
Pre-CRPS diagnosed 2014 (I think this was crap)
2017 - 90+% cured via Dr Dye's research
2018 - MTB crash, busted collarbone & ribs - easy compared to knees!
2019 - ride 3x/week, swim 2x/week, gym 2x/week, aiming to get back to short triathlons

Offline Geronimo

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 02:25:25 AM »
read this book: https://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Boy-Miraculous-Misdiagnosed-Trapped/dp/1400205832

maybe it will help you realize that not being able to ride an MTB 6 months after surgery is not that bad?