Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 9 weeks post. Op at 30  (Read 388 times)

Offline Zamoh

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
9 weeks post. Op at 30
« on: May 20, 2018, 10:32:03 AM »
Hi everyone,I am a 21 year old female. I was involved in a car accident this year in March & I had a transverse open patella fracture on my left. I am now at 9 weeks post op,I have a figure of 8 wire and two screws. There is still a bit of swelling,I started physio at 5 weeks post op and I've been to physio twice,I go there once after two weeks and I don't do much with them, they keep me for less than 30 minutes & only show me what to do at home. I am 9 weeks post op and still stuck at 30 :'(, I am now hopeless and so sad, I see no progress no matter how hard I try to forcefully bend it,instead it hurts a lot. I believe that at 9 weeks I should have reached 90 at least. I do exercises like squarts,sleep on my stomach and raise the injured leg with my right leg and I still struggle with straight leg raises but last week I was able to do it though it hurts a lot,I do the exercises at least twice or three times a day. I am now using one crutch and I am able to walk around without it. I am more worried about the bending,please help me I am too young to have a straight leg for the rest of my life :'( :'(

Offline BornToRun

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 24
Re: 9 weeks post. Op at 30
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 06:17:42 PM »
Im so sorry to hear that, it sounds so frustrating!
 I cant speak from personal experience because mine was an ACL rather than a fracture. Have you brought up your concerns with your current physio though?

Where are you based?  Are you able to see a different physio for a second opinion?  Alternatively, could you try to contact your surgeon and discuss your concerns with him/her?

Dont give up, its a horrible time, but it will get better!
6 Mar 2018 - skiing fall, ACL rupture, MCL and LCL sprain, lateral meniscus tear and bone bruising
13 Apr 2018 - ACL reconstruction with hamstring autograft, small meniscus repair

Offline Zamoh

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 11:46:52 AM »
@BornToRun Thank you for taking your time to read my post and for replying. Last week I went to physio and they gave me a new physiotherapist and so far I can say that she is the best because she does all the exercises with me. I do the exercises at home everyday twice,in the morning and before I sleep, however I don't see any progress when it comes to bending. My Doctor threatened to take me back to theatre for another operation if my knee shows no improvement by the 13th of June. I have tried to get someone to force it to bend to at least 90 degrees but they couldn't and I couldn't bear the pain. I desperately need to reach 90 degrees ASAP. 

Offline BornToRun

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 24
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 01:22:50 PM »
Hi Zamoh, did your doctor indicate what might be the issue? And what would they do in the operation to resolve it? Is it scar tissue, issues with the hardware, or something else?
Does your new physio have any ideas of what might be blocking your flexion?
All fingers crossed for you!
6 Mar 2018 - skiing fall, ACL rupture, MCL and LCL sprain, lateral meniscus tear and bone bruising
13 Apr 2018 - ACL reconstruction with hamstring autograft, small meniscus repair

Offline Geronimo

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 02:49:50 AM »
i'm afraid there is no ASAP when it comes to knee injury.

give it more time and make sure you don't ruin what you have. keep doing PT and see if it works in 3-6 months.

Offline Amanda - Netherlands

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 09:40:48 PM »
Hi Zamoh, did your doctor indicate what might be the issue? And what would they do in the operation to resolve it? Is it scar tissue, issues with the hardware, or something else?
Does your new physio have any ideas of what might be blocking your flexion?
Take those questions to your surgeon & general doctor asap.
Another thing to consider is a manual physio therapist who gets her/his hands on your leg, rather than passively showing you exercises and leaving you for a fortnight. I switched to manual after 2 sessions & really felt like it was the right choice. Pushed my knee but comfortably, which helped me to know I could push myself.
ACL graft/Bucket handle meniscus tear

support