Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Mcl acl  (Read 799 times)

Offline rob43

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
Mcl acl
« on: May 17, 2018, 12:32:30 PM »
Thought I had a cartilage problem but the physio thinks it's a mcl sprain but also said I have excessive play on the acl
Didn't really say much else so I'm wondering this something I can correct myself or do I need to see a surgeon about the mcl I am getting the odd pulling pain in the centre of the knee when lifting weights
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 07:51:32 PM by rob43 »

Offline BornToRun

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 24
Re: Mcl acl
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 11:19:42 PM »
Hi Rob, Iím not an expert, but I also had an MCL grade 1 sprain / part tear to go with my ACL. Personally, I would see a Consultant/ Orthopaedist and have an MRI to see whatís going on in there. MCL sprains need different treatment depending on the grade. But even for a grade 1 like mine, I had to wear a brace for 6 weeks whilst it healed. Treatment also differs depending on whether thereís anything else wrong in there (and what).
I was told though that MCL injuries tend to be painful, and Iíd agree with that!
Good luck, hope it goes well!
6 Mar 2018 - skiing fall, ACL rupture, MCL and LCL sprain, lateral meniscus tear and bone bruising
13 Apr 2018 - ACL reconstruction with hamstring autograft, small meniscus repair

Offline rob43

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 12:22:20 PM »
Mine doesn't hurt doing normal things just the side movement if I kick a ball

Offline BornToRun

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 06:06:34 PM »
Maybe worth getting the ACL checked out? Fingers crossed itís nothing.
6 Mar 2018 - skiing fall, ACL rupture, MCL and LCL sprain, lateral meniscus tear and bone bruising
13 Apr 2018 - ACL reconstruction with hamstring autograft, small meniscus repair

Offline rob43

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 10:42:09 PM »
I am waiting for a mri scan

Offline BornToRun

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 01:57:44 PM »
Fingers crossed, keep us posted. Might be worth taking it easy until then? Just in case you do more damage (e.g. to the meniscus). But hereís hoping itís good news!

Offline rob43

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 12:06:47 PM »
No damage to the cartilage had that tested
It's just mild pain kicking

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 370
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 01:28:21 PM »
Assuming you mean the meniscus not articular cartilage, Having a lax or torn ACL causes instability which leads to higher risk of tearing the meniscus often in patients over 30 who are likely to have degenerate and thus brittle. Even more in sport like football. You might want to get an ACL brace or stop doing anything twisty
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline rob43

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 02:39:51 PM »
My knee isn't weak doesn't give way doesn't hurt twisting or turning or bearing full weight and the physio did tests said the acl was a bit loose and mcl had a strain

Offline BornToRun

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 03:56:10 PM »
Hi Rob, I very much hope itís good news from the scan for you. But I agree with Vickster that itís worth waiting for the results and making sure the ACL is OK before you do anything high impact, or sports involving cutting/pivoting etc. As he says, if the ACL is loose/torn, you risk new meniscus damage through those types of sports (even if you donít have any damage now).
I really hope there is nothing wrong with your ACL. BUT, word of warning - my ACL was completely torn, and my knee never gave way, buckled or wobbled. The only pain I had was from my MCL. Pre MRI, the OS I saw was only 50/50 on whether there was anything wrong with my ACL at all. Turns out my hamstrings are over-reactive and were holding everything together, as it were. Interestingly, I also had a small lateral meniscus tear that two good surgeons and one physio didnít pick up, and it didnít even show up on the MRI. It only showed up in theatre. Thatís not uncommon, the surgeon warned me from the start that can happen.
Iím not trying to scare you, and really keeping everything crossed that you have nothing but a teensy MCL sprain. But itís worth being careful for a short while, until you know for sure. You need that knee for the rest of your life!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 03:58:04 PM by BornToRun, Reason: Typo »

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 04:42:48 PM »
He is a she  ;)
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline BornToRun

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 05:14:02 PM »
Duh, sorry Vickster! I should have worked that out from the name  :) Too much thinking about my knee has addled my remaining brain cells (also a she here).

Offline rob43

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2018, 10:35:06 PM »
The physio seem to know her stuff pretty and did a lot of tests she said my acl was loose not torn and mcl is painful when I put the pressure on the side of the knee apart from that I'm good to go lol

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2018, 10:46:07 PM »
Loose still isnít good if you want to stay active in impact sport as itís not a ligament that heals (unlike the MCL). Has it been reconstructed in the past? Or are you hypermobile perhaps?

Hopefully you donít have to wait too long fir the MRI (NHS?)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 10:49:49 PM by Vickster »
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline BornToRun

• Regular Poster
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2018, 06:56:07 AM »
Sadly thereís no way for anyone  - surgeon, physio, etc.- to know for sure whatís in there without an MRI. No matter how amazingly good they are!

Thereís a reverse to my recent negative story as well - I had a previous scare a few years back after another ski fall. An Austrian orthopaedist and an NHS consultant, as well as an NHS physio, all diagnosed an ACL tear after doing tests. It wasnít. The MRI just showed minor cartilage damage.
So hereís hoping for good MRI news for you!