Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Lateral meniscus recovery (6 weeks post op)  (Read 3166 times)

Offline rbailss

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Lateral meniscus recovery (6 weeks post op)
« on: April 25, 2018, 12:31:03 PM »
Hi all, first time poster so be gentle!

I tore my lateral meniscus in May last year & eventually had my partial meniscectomy at the start of March this year.

Its now been 6 weeks since I had the op, my knee feels fine when walking but still have some pain when running, especially on the outside of me knee & in the back of knee above my calf.

I'm doing exercises every day & my leg is much stronger now (still not as strong as it was) but still feel I'm miles off being able to get back to sport (play football 4-5 times a week & some badminton).

I'm just after some words/advice to see if i'm going in the right direction & how long recovery should take.  I've read online that people are back to normal 2-4 weeks post op!  I'm a 28 year old male in pretty good condition if it helps.

Are there any exercises I should be doing which help strengthen the knee?  I was hoping to get back playing before the season is over but don't want to push it too early to give myself further set backs.

I appreciate any help/advice anyone can offer, cheers.

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 402
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Lateral meniscus recovery (6 weeks post op)
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 01:12:29 PM »
See a private sports Physio for advice and a tailored programme. Youíll need to pay if in uk

Personally I was advised to avoid running completely following a lateral menisectomy but I also have damaged cartilage

How much meniscus was removed? Could the surgeon not repair it? I assume youíve been informed of the risk of arthritis developing after menisectomy. Why itís important to get expert advice about impact sport

Good luck :)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 01:15:47 PM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline rbailss

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 01:35:31 PM »
I had a couple of physio sessions but was told to go on my way after my 2nd session!  The surgeon told me not to run but the physio told me to get back to it as soon as possible haha!  Only a small amount of meniscus was removed, enough to stop my knee from locking etc.

Yeah, he said he could already see some signs of arthritis already, not good!  I'm seeing my GP who referred me in the first place about something else next week so will speak to him about it!

I was told I couldn't damage the original injury as that has been fixed  If I was to get injured again, it would be a separate injury altogether, is that correct?

What exercises did you do after surgery @Vickster?

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 01:38:37 PM »
Lots of exercises, canít remember exactly as it was 8 years ago. Glute bridges, clamshells, wall slides, leg raises etc. Then rowing, treadmill, cycling, XT in gym. Possibly some leg presses

Pay to see a knee expert sports Physio. I assume NHS discharged you? Id follow a surgeonís advice over that of a Physio you saw twice. And certainly ignore the 2-4 weeks, 6 months would not be realistic especially given how long your knee was compromised between injury and surgery. Your body needs to get used to the new biomechanics caused by the menisectomy

If you have arthritis at 28 Iíd avoid anything that will aggravate...running, football, squatting, heavy weights etc

Thereís good info in the learning portfolio on the site
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 01:46:35 PM by Vickster »
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline rbailss

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 03:06:25 PM »
Appreciate the response!

When you say avoid, are you meaning forever or just until my knee feels able?

Looks like its back to the exercise back for the foreseeable!

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 03:44:05 PM »
My surgeon told me never to run (hate it anyway, Iím a cyclist which he is in favour of). Running hurts like hell anyhow due to the cartilage damage and increasingly knock knees
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline LateralMeniscusIssuesGuy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 04:50:45 PM »
Hi rbaliss,

My brother had a minor removal of his medial meniscus (not sure exact amount, I asked he have his surgeon do a drawing to help quantify but he is an "ignorance is bliss" kind of guy).  He took 4-6 months before getting into full activity.  He doesn't run but is an international athlete in an impact / contact sport.

He wasn't that diligent with his rehab, he wasn't reckless but could have done more diet and rehab exercise wise.  However he is strong and seems to be none the worse for the surgery 1 year on.  It was the medial side which is rumoured easier to recover from.

On the other side I had what I was told was a partial removal but later surgeries through it looked more like a 2/3 removal, so its difficult to know whether to believe a surgeon.  Perhaps the assessment is difficult when the meniscus in question is very frayed or damaged.  Mine was lateral side, I attempted a return to sport after 3 months and continued through episodes of extreme swelling (no real pain) for 2 years when I was told, surprise surprise, my pristine articular cartilage 2 years ago was now full thickness defect in areas.  I have a subsequent blog on my current attempt at salvaging the situation with OATS and a meniscus transplant, its a long long process :)

I was really strong, big squats and leg press, bulky legs, an international athlete most of my adult life, but did massive damage in a short period of time.  Perhaps things would have been different with 6mth or longer of rehab work, I just didn't take it seriously as it was my first injury and I had always bounced back from MCL partial tears etc.

IN summary what I'm saying is even the most experienced active person needs a really good physio to at least periodically guide them through their return to activity.  I wouldn't necessarily say a partial removal means no more impact activities but you are certainly at high risk of accelerated articular cartilage damage.  Perhaps offloader braces, alignment focused rehab, and strength and movement training can circumvent accelerated future issues.  I would encourage anyone to take this period of their life seriously with focus, be cautious with their exercise progression, and try as best as possible to stay positive, valuing this life experience as best as possible despite the inconvenience and perceived "lost time".

Sorry if that is no help at all!
Partial Lateral Meniscectomy (2/3 removed), pristine articular cartilage...2013
Return to impact sport, continual responsive swelling ever since
Mild pain onset..2016
Arthroscopy reveals grade 2/3 articular cartilage damage lateral compartment behind kneecap
What now? Allograft / brace / nothing?

Offline rbailss

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 09:20:58 AM »
@LateralMeniscusIssuesGuy

Thanks very much for the detailed post, I'll make sure to follow your story, hope your rehab is going well.

I sound a bit like your brother, I think I need to rehab harder & not think about returning to any sports until at least another month or so.  I need to pull myself together & get back in the gym!  I know over time, I'm hopefully going to be back to near enough 100%, I'm just such an impatient person & the length of time it took me from getting injured to having my op has put me back nearly a full year.

Since my op, when I walk, my knee seems to click quite a lot, is that common? 

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 09:32:06 AM »
Probably partly due residual inflammation and swelling, muscles imbalanced and not firing properly (why you need a good Physio) and potentially the changed mechanics in your knee now thereís a crucial bit missing (another reason to see the Physio to get things used to the new normal)

This might be of interest
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/primers/meniscus/structural-and-functional-consequences-meniscectomy

Get swimming if you want a good low impact cardio activity
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 09:36:30 AM by Vickster »
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline rbailss

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2018, 11:33:19 AM »
Ok, so I seen my doctor today & he has said along with the tear there was significant bone contusion which is probably why I'm still in pain..  He's told em to avoid impact sports for the next couple of months & just smash the exercise bike!

Offline rbailss

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 08:44:32 AM »
Been back in the gym about 3 weeks now, managing to single leg press 50kg & leg press 110kg!  Been squatting too which I am buzzing about! 

Tried playing 5aside football last night & started to get pain after about 20 minutes & today I'm in agony again & my knee has swollen up...  Is this normal, am I trying to push myself too soon?

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 09:31:40 AM »
I donít think itís normal. Sounds like you are doing too much too soon. The advice Iíve always been given by physios for rehab is little and often, so more light reps in the gym. When was the op?
What has your Physio advised on rehab? You say your doctor said to avoid impact sports...so why are you playing football so soon and going so heavy in the gym, rather than low impact cycling and swimming?

If knee swollen, RICE and keep a close eye in case itís a sign of further damage or tear
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline rbailss

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 10:44:15 AM »
In the gym, the weight felt fine, no sign of pain at all...

I felt completely fine, that's why I wanted to test it out, obviously I'm not :(

I only had 2 physio sessions & was sent on my way, think I'm gonna seek further advice.

My operation was on 7th March so 3 months ago..  It was a partial removal not a repair btw..  Doctor mentioned bone contusion, could this be a factor in the pain?

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2018, 02:18:18 PM »
Yes if itís a deep bruise on a weight bearing surface if you put pressure on the area it could even hurt for a year or longer. If youíve damaged the cartilage covering the bone it could be a longer term or permanent issue unfortunately

If you didnít feel fine afterwards, then it obviously isnít fine :)

Pay to see a sports Physio (one who has expertise in knees in active younger adults as I assume you are). Assuming in the UK and depending where a session is typically £40 upwards for 30 mins (initial assessment longer and more)
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline LateralMeniscusIssuesGuy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2018, 04:06:55 PM »
5 a side football is probably one of the most challenging activites you could attempt to return to.  For normal people (who don't have access to brilliant physio and diets and rest), I think the usual 3 month guidance on returning to activity after a partial removal is entirely too short, it needs to be atleast double.

I cannot stress enough, if these procedures and the recovery time are not respected enough, it will impact the rest of your life for your entire future.

Honestly, progress more slowly than the guidance, take it slow, spend money on getting a physio team involved which can appropriately progress you from strength work to impact / dynamic / open kinetic chain activities, and be as patient as you can.  I wish I hadn't rushed back after the timetabled schedule from my surgeon when I had my partial removal.  In retrospect the swelling I would get post activity, while not painful for years, was telling me something was wrong and getting worse.

If after 6mth - 1year you have the same reaction swelling but you want to play those dynamic sports, consider being fitted with an OA unloader brace to protect your vulnerable side.

Sorry if that sounded alarming!  Just trying to get to the point based on my own small experience sample.
Partial Lateral Meniscectomy (2/3 removed), pristine articular cartilage...2013
Return to impact sport, continual responsive swelling ever since
Mild pain onset..2016
Arthroscopy reveals grade 2/3 articular cartilage damage lateral compartment behind kneecap
What now? Allograft / brace / nothing?

support