Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Does fluid in the knee go away?  (Read 74314 times)

Offline SG81

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Does fluid in the knee go away?
« on: April 04, 2004, 04:51:22 AM »
I won't bore you with my story, but I was just wondering if fluid in your knee (which I think I have) will go away by itself?

If so, does anything help? Like, knee pads/braces, drugs, ice, etc?

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: Does fluid in the knee go away?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2004, 06:58:16 AM »
the RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) treatment can sometimes help fluid in the knee resolve on its own, but if you don't fix whatever's the cause of it swelling in the first place, you'll keep having it swell back up.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline SG81

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2004, 12:19:17 PM »
Hmm, that's a good point. Assuming, for the moment, that there are no other factors other than trauma that is causing the fluid to build up, how long does it usually take to totally disperse?

As for the rest, I can get that covered and I didn't think ice helped anymore but I'll try it again.

As for compression, do you mean, like, those knee sleeve things that you commonly see atheletes wear or a wrappable ACE bandage? Which would you recommend?

And as for elevation. Err, do you mean as if you were lying down in a bed, or like when you see people in a hospital bed with a broken leg, and their entire leg is in a sling that's attatched to a pulley above the bed?

Sorry for all the questions, but I really appreciate the help :)

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2004, 03:41:56 PM »
Rice should help you, the more you stay off your feet, the better it should go away ...  ::) I think.  As for compression, I like Tensor or Ace Bandages as you can adjust them, those sleeves, can.... put too much pressure on the knee. If there is significant fluid build up, which I got for close to a year after my last surgery, I would use two of the very wide Tensor Bandages, 4 inch I think they are, and wrap the entire leg, from ankle Upwards to help with the flow of the fluids, if you only wrap the knee, you'll likely force the fluid down the leg, and then' you'll have tree trunk ankles.  HOpefully this will help you. As far as elevation goes, well it doesn't really matter how you do it, but it should be above the level of your heart. The point is to reduce the amount of Blood flowing to the knee, more blood flow can mean more inflammation that could mean...more fluid on the knee. IF it doens't improve with time I would atleast suggest seeing a Physiotherapist as it could be something more involved like Bursitis.
Goodluck
Hugs and Hope
LInds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline SG81

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2004, 12:32:38 AM »
Cool, thanks for the advice. I'll start using ACE bandages for about a week and see what happpens.

Oh yeah, one more question: Where exactly does the fluid go? In the muscle?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2004, 01:28:33 AM by SG81 »

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2004, 03:40:51 AM »
If I understand my biology correctly, the lymphatic system has something to do with the drainage of excess fluids from body tissues. I think that the excess fluid, once moved from the tissues, is shifted into the bloodstream to be disposed of in the normal fluid elimination process. You'd have to get someone a lot more knowledgable than me to know for sure, but I think I'm on the right track, anyway.

Linds does make a valid point - start wrapping from the foot up toward the thigh, or you'll push the fluids the wrong way, and make your ankle swell. Watch the color of your toes though, if they turn purple, or feel cold, you're wrapped too tight and you're cutting off circulation.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2004, 04:47:48 AM »
Donna, you're right the lymphatic system does have alot with fluid drainage in the body. In the case of the knee joint it would depend on the cause of the fluid, some fluid can be right in the joint capsul.

Hugs
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury

Offline SG81

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2004, 07:05:27 AM »
Wow, something strange just happend...

I went to go cross my left leg (you know, how guys usually sit) because it gives some comfort from letting my left knee (the one in question) sit for so long, and I felt a sharp pain on the right side. I went to go get up and walk around and it still hurt. Like a dull pain on the right side of my left knee.

Well, after about 30 minutes, I tried again and the pain was still there, so I felt around, pressed on the right side, and I felt kind of a 'swishing' movement. The next thing I know, all the pain was gone and I could walk normally again.

Can this fluid cause damage to my knee? Perhaps I should just go get it drained o_O

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2004, 03:13:22 PM »
What did you do to your knee that caused all the fluid to be there in the first place? I know you didn't tell us, but now it sounds like something's going on.

Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2004 LR LK

Offline SG81

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2004, 09:08:30 AM »
Well, I was getting off a seat on the bus in an awkward position, and I think I put too much weight on my left leg because, the next thing I know, my knee goes right and I hear a dull 'pop' noise. My knee felt like it went out of place and then back in again. I didn't go down, but I had to support myself using the rails to make it off the bus and onto the bench.

The pain wasn't too intense, but I did hurt a bit. I sat there resting for about 5 minutes and started walking home. The stop I got off of, was about 100 yards to my house up a slight hill, and I made it home with little to no pain.

When I got home, I iced it and put it to rest. The next day it felt incredibly 'tight' and my range of motion was very limited. When I mean limited, I mean without a little resistance and the fact that it felt like my whole knee was going to explode under pressure.

Every day, for about a week up until now, the range has increased and right now, I can fully cross my knee and sit indian style. I don't have the full range like my right knee without feeling a little pressure.

Offline SG81

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2004, 08:39:28 AM »
Well, I don't see too much improvement, so I think I'll just go get it drained.

How exactly do they do it? Has anyone here had it done?

Offline teresa.uk

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2004, 10:57:14 AM »
Hi there
You dont say where you come from.You REALLY need to see someone professional about your knee.If you are from the UK you will probably need to be on your hands andknees,and at deaths door before you can even see your GP,but if you are lucky enuf to be from somewhere else, you should see someone today.There has obviously been damage from trauma, and although it sounds like it may be resolving, you cannot go get it drained,without a diagnosis from an 'expert'.The drainage is usually a last resort,as they do not like to put a needle in(which is what is involved)a joint,without good reason,due to risk of introducing infection.They would put you on anti-inflammatories here in the UK,maybe do xrays, and refer you to PT for ultrsound etc first. You dont say if the knee feels hot? You other kneegeeks are right.The fluid disperses into the lymphatic system, and just gets secreted that way.
Hope you get to the bottom of all this.Good luck.
Teresa
« Last Edit: April 07, 2004, 11:08:05 AM by teresa.uk »
osteoarthritis both knees,arthroscopy 1993.Bilateral arthroscopies,semi-open lateral releases jan '03.Hands now affected.1 knee made worse by op.Patella-Femoral replacement done 11 Jan 2004.

Offline SG81

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2004, 12:12:15 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

It doesn't get hot or cold, and there is little pain. In fact, the only pain comes from when the skin on my knee gets pulled to the left or the right from turning my leg in bed. Also, when I try to full extend my knee to a perfect 180 degree (I don't know if it's from resistance from the fluid or the fluid pushing against something).

When I walk, my left knee doesn't exactly 'lock' and fully extend like the right knee. Instead, it's at about 150 or 160 degrees, and I rely on my leg muscles.

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2004, 02:18:47 PM »
You've just got some good amount of fluid in that knee, hence the not being able to fully straighten it, and the squishy feeling. I definately think you should go see someone, but don't be surprised if they want to do xrays and such and an exam not just rush right into draining the thing.
Goodluck
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2004 LR LK

Offline SG81

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2004, 12:04:40 PM »
Yes, I'll just have to suck it up and go see a doctor, lol  ;D

Thank you all for your advice. I appreciate it.

support