Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Has anyone had similar injuries and got any advice/stories?  (Read 312 times)

Offline PwordsB

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 13
Has anyone had similar injuries and got any advice/stories?
« on: April 19, 2018, 08:04:35 AM »
Hey.  I'm a 27 year old guy.  Used to snowboard for six months of the year and rock climb and surf for the rest.  Monstrously active life that caught up with me over two years ago when I hurt myself snowboarding.

I've had two operations amounting to a cartilage (chondrotissue) graft, a sub total meniscectomy and some tibial cartilage removal.  All to my lateral side. 

My question is, is there anyone here who has had a similar set of injuries (below) and has any advice or success/failure stories that might be able to help me?  I'm aware that I'll never have even 10% of the life I used to, but I'm never going to stop pushing to get as much back as I can.

~10 degrees valgus/knock-kneed leg (waiting for surgery)
80% Lateral meniscus removed, but the 20% left is apparently torn off and so effectively none left.
Bare bone on the tibial plateau which probably needs grafting.
ACL rupture (moderate)
PCL rupture (mild) (one consultant told me he wouldn't touch these ligaments because if I'm ever active enough to need them repaired, the cartilage grafts I end up having will fail...)
and a possible ramp lesion on the medial side, just to too it off.

It's a mess, I know.  I'm hoping someone with a similar bunch of rubbish can tell me that they've got a magic potion to make everything good again?!  :-[
Snowboard injury 21/01/16
Open cartilage graft (Chondrotissue) 29/06/16
Sub-total lateral meniscectomy, LTP cartilage removal 20/01/17
11mm Closing Medial DFO and LTP Microfracture 10/08/18

Offline reflex_nl

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 12
Re: Has anyone had similar injuries and got any advice/stories?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 08:03:08 PM »
yeah, knee issues suck. I've been an active snowboarder myself and have not touched the snow since my injury ~1.5 years ago. I had two cartilage related surgeries and they take a while to recover from... still it will never be good.

In your case look for donor options, I met a guy from your age with a donor meniscus and he is very active again!
RK Patella Luxation in 2000
RK Scope grade 2 damage to patella
RK PT for 4 mths, recovered 90% after 4 years
LK Patella Luxation in Oct'16
LK Scope to remove loose bodies (grade 4) to patella Nov'16
LK Lateral Release + MPFL Reefing + MCIC in the UK Dec'17

Offline jackson7

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 10:57:47 PM »
I haven't snowboarded in 2 years due to my knee.  Even at age 53, I still love to shred.  Right before my scope, I was able to do some pow turns on my damaged knee...but seeing all those anomalies in the snow and not being able to spin airs off them took most of the fun out of it.

Although supposedly less than 20% of my meniscus was removed, I have lots of scar tissue, thickened tendons, slightly compromised kneecap alignment and nerve pain whenever I walk even less than a mile.  The subsequent muscle atrophy compounds everything.  I have decent range of motion, but the nerves are still too sensitive to do any type of sports...or even build leg strength.  If I could just pop-up on my surfboard, I might be happy...but even that's still not possible.

A guy on one of the surfing forums wrote he had 100% of the meniscus in his knee removed and says he was surfing relatively pain free after 6 months (zero issues after 10 years).  Without any other compounding issues, guess he kinda got lucky.

You're only 27, so the healing power of youth is still there.  You have a lot of issues, but, if you can get them sorted out enough that you can build leg strength and pop-up on a surfboard, just move to the beach and surf the rest of your life(?)

12/2015: slow speed bicycle crash
1/16: many x-rays & 2 MRIs only show tendinosis
3/16: bone scan shows uptake in all compartments
8/16: cortisone jab (no effect)
3/17: diag scope (part med meniscectomy, med fem chondroplasty, full synovectomy)
4/18: Pain finally diminishing. 65% function.

Offline Geronimo

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 04:47:25 PM »
i wish you  good luck with your knee, but more important advice at this point is to find some other hobby while you can't snowboard. i know it sucks not to be able to do what you  liked, but not to find something else while you are recovering sucks even more. if you still can walk there are many other things to enjoy on your road to recovery. 

support