Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Mayo clinic finds way to way to produce stem cells hyper efficiently  (Read 1329 times)

Offline neptronix

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 4
    • neptronix.org
Give this a look. Last month, the mayo clinic found a way to produce about a hundred times more useable stem cells than usual procedures. Not only that, but they also had the procedure approved by the FDA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhqCYjRikCE

This development might change the economics/efficacy of stem cell treatment in the future.

Very cool!

Offline db1984

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 2
  • Knee OA, going all out with cultured MSCs!
Re: Mayo clinic finds way to way to produce stem cells hyper efficiently
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 09:42:13 AM »
They're using expanded allogeneic bone marrow MSCs from anonymous donors. I was a bit puzzled because the doctor in the video says they're not culturing cells anymore but using an "automated machine" and he gives no explanation. He next calls it the "Quantum" machine, so I looked that up and found some info on it. It's a bioreactor system that they're using to grow large numbers of cells, a couple hundred million. A couple concerns I have are that they're using allogeneic cells and expanding them so far. MSCs start to degrade in long term culture, so it makes me wonder how they're avoiding that problem... if indeed they are.

Also, there have been some studies showing that allogeneic cells evade the immune system after the first transplant, but that after the 2nd transplant the immune system starts to recognize them. Conveniently, most of the randomized controlled trials testing allogeneic cells for knee OA focus on the outcome of a single injection, not multiple injections. Allogeneic is convenient and economical, but autologous is still probably best.

See the link on the "Quantum" machine:

https://www.omicsonline.org/open-access/largescale-clinical-expansion-of-mesenchymal-stem-cells-in-the-gmpcompliant-closed-automated-quantum-cell-expansion-system-comparison-with-expansion-in-traditional-tflasks-2157-7633.1000222.php?aid=29997tps://www.omicsonline.org/open-access/largescale-clinical-expansion-of-mesenchymal-stem-cells-in-the-gmpcompliant-closed-automated-quantum-cell-expansion-system-comparison-with-expansion-in-traditional-tflasks-2157-7633.1000222.php?aid=29997
Jun 16: Patellofemoral OA, Lumbar DDD
Aug 16: Regenexx-SD left knee, PRP right knee
Mar 17: Bone marrow aspiration for cell culture
Apr 17: Regenexx-C both knees, lumbar spine, left shoulder
Jun 17: PRP both Achilles, right hip, both knees
Jan 18: Knees and back MUCH better, planning 2nd treatment

Offline tomtomtom

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 09:25:27 AM »
I'm interested, since it's about allogenic stem cells and security risks, how to deal with it in this process.

Offline neptronix

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 4
    • neptronix.org
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 04:50:54 AM »
Interesting replies.

Who knows, maybe one hyper concentrated shot of allogenic stem cells can save someone for a joint replacement for a few years. The point of this idea was to create massive amounts of stem cells for clinical trials though, so the real benefit might come from the research that comes from using these.