Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Muscle loss in single leg and non-healing mild pes anserine bursitis  (Read 282 times)

Offline toros546

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Dear Friends,

I have a troubling leg(left) still with no diagnosis after visiting 4 different neurologists and repeating 3 emg sessions without any results and a dozen of mri sessions screening complications occuring on my leg area.

4 years ago I had an injury of my left foot ankle ended up with a broken fibula fractured from lateral malleolus level and a partially torn syndesmosys bond. The upper side of the fibula close to the knee level was also fractured but it was something that could heal itself. My orthopaedic surgeon decided to plant a syndesmosys screw for 3 months long in order to achieve good welding and prevent any malfunctioning of the ankle mechanismin future. They performed a second operation to took the screw out after 3 months passed and I was informed not to press on my leg in this period which weakened my leg muscles a bit. However the operations was successful and they regained strength in a few months and I returned back to cardio running and weight lifting with full performance.

Everything was fine in the following 6 months duration until a small oval particle on my back belly took my attention. I had an mri and they told me that I have an herniated disc and bulging at early stage at L5-S1. I guess i lifted something heavy at the time that caused this rupture unrealizingly. My doctor suggested me to swim and not to weight lift which I obeyed his advice and started to do swim and do cardio running.

Unfortunatelly one month later i was back home from a regular cardio running session with a very tight hamstring and disturbed semitendinosus which did not healed the next few days. I went to my ortho and get an mri scan reported mild imflammation on knee joint and mil bursitis of pes anserine. My ortho told that i may be overriding at cardio running and adviced me to take a break. Other than that my wounded ankle seeming in very good condition he added.

I did what he suggested and continued just with swimming but it did not make any healing to my leg which started feeling more drained, tight, numb and weak day by day. This time my ortho sent me to a neurologist and we run an emg test with no symptomatic results. My complaints were growing and they measured 2 cm of muscle loss in my upper left leg so we followed a session with a physical therapist which also ended with no healing. We repeated the emg with a second neurologist and gained no progress. There were muscular atrophy in the left leg above the knee and weakness of fexors, obvious muscle loss in inner surface of the leg but zero clinic sympthoms on emg results. In the meantime they got mri scans of all sections of my spinal cord to find a guilt to blame and they marked many low potential spots on my back between T6-T12 discs with no clinic meaning. They prescribed me with vit-b pills that helped me with the numbness but made me gain extra 15kgs weight.

For the last one year I was tired of repeating scans and wanted to take a break and stoped following the issue. In the meantime muscle loss got significant to 3-3,5cm comparing to the right leg and the feeling of numbness and weakness spreaded to foot buttom of my leg. Last month I gave a try to a new neurologist and we repeated the emg again with no outcome. Emg is 100%clean but i have a numb leg.

I feel lost and really disappointed with the situation and I dont know what to do. I lost good amount of money while having these scans and visiting this prosessor doctors.

Today I saw a new neurologist who wants to repeat the procedure.  :-X :-\

I hope there is someone here who can come up with a different approach..

And sorry for the long writing..

Best Regards
Toros

Offline HobbledGirl

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 3
Re: Muscle loss in single leg and non-healing mild pes anserine bursitis
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 03:19:19 PM »
Hi Toros,

Sounds like you've had a tough and frustrating go of it. Have the doctors looked a sciatica? I would think that that is the first thing to come to mind! Here is some information on it:  https://www.prevention.com/health/sciatica-symptoms

It may be cause by your herniated disc. Look at this:

https://www.webmd.com/back-pain/tc/herniated-disc-symptoms

Things you MIGHT consider:

*Do back strengthening to help alleviate pressure from herniation (Stuart McGill has a lot of really good stuff online, try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEvy5CCvNLA).

*See a general doctor to see if it could be some kind of systemic issue that is affecting your leg.

*See a chiropractor. They make me nervous, but I have had a number of friends who have been really helped by them.

If you would like a list of things to bring out your inner hypochondriac, you can visit this symptom checker:https://symptoms.webmd.com/default.htm#/info.

Hope this helps a little. It's so hard when you are suffering and don't even know the cause. Best of luck to you!

Karen
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 03:44:10 PM by HobbledGirl »
1-4-17 accident on Segway in Madrid.
3-4-17 flight to US w/ full-length plaster splint & crutches I can't use. 😂
6-4-17 surgery for highly comminuted, 1.5 cm depressed Schatzker II TPF.  ORIF: plate, 7 screws, allograft.
29-6-17 WBAT, almost full ROM, -2 mm lateral plateau
16-7-17 Heel met behind

Offline toros546

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 04:17:15 PM »
Karen,

Thank you very much for your response.

My first personal suspicion was also sciatica and I had multiple mri scannings for lower extremity, femoral and lomber. Doctors commented that the sciatic nerve seems comfortable with no contact. They say that there must be an emg reading to believe it is sciatic.

Regarding my back with the herniated disc, it was diagnosed 3 years ago and I swim for 2 years everyday to heal it. We repeated the lomber mri this year and Doctor says the herniation is small and L5-S1 will not cause any complication at knee level. I have added that I also have tingling and paresthaesic feeling at my foot buttom that he accepts l5-s1 herniation might be a reason to that but he refuses the 3cm atrophy and upper leg muscle weakness is caused by L5-s1. He says that L4 can cause this kind of weakness at hamstring or adductors which L4 is clean at my back.   

If there is anyone here experiencing muscle and nerve issue while having a clean emg, i will be thankful to hear that experiances?

I am just 34 and quite healty other than this issue. if this was a systemic issue, wouldn't I have any complaints around othersides of my body?

Anyway thank you very much once again..

Offline HobbledGirl

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 12:10:13 PM »
Toros,

I hope someone that has experience with this can give you an answer. A couple of other thoughts from me in the meanwhile-

1. Have you considered piriformis syndrome? Its symptoms are identical to sciatica. Even with this though it seems like if the impingement were occurring while in the neurologists office, the EMG would indicate it.

2. After no luck with four neurologists, I might try an internist. You could have a vascular problem in the leg or some other issue (things like Lyme disease and shingles can have some strange symptoms, diabetes can cause leg weakness, mercury exposure, ...). Some of this I wouldn’t expect to be so localized, but it seems worthwhile to get a doctors opinion if you can find a good one to help you solve this.

In any case, good luck! Sometimes things are just too obscure to track down, but if you try your best to stay healthy, they may resolve themselves.
6-4-17 surgery for highly comminuted, 1.5 cm depressed Schatzker II TPF.  ORIF: plate, 7 screws, allograft.
16-7-17 Heel met behind

Offline toros546

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 07:50:00 PM »
HobbledGirl and Karen,

Today I had an appoinment with a very famous professor of traumatology and orthapedia. This guy is also the doctor of a few NBA players and a football team. I had knew this guy from the past but postponing this interview since his service was quite expensive. Anyway this time my leg beated my pocket and we made the oppointmant with him today.

After visiting 4 different neurologists and a few orthapedists without any diagnoses, this professor addressed the situation might probably be "Femoroacetabular impingement". He examined me and said that there is external rotation and probably a pressure on my forehip periferia causing the muscle weakness. He asked me for some dx scans to see in detail.

This is the only doctor that come up with something new and after the appointment I searched the web for his discovery and seems reasonable;
https://www.purephysio.com.au/blog/hip-impingement-dynamic-young-dancer/

Did you know anything about his idea? Anyway i am happy and I will let you know the progess..

Thx

Offline HobbledGirl

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 11:15:49 PM »
Toros-

I am happy for you! I had never heard of it before. I hope it turns out to be the problem and that it can be fixed.  I'll look forward to hearing how it goes.

Karen
16-7-17 Heel met behind

support