Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Cryo cuffs - Effective for pain management?  (Read 206 times)

Offline patty

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
Cryo cuffs - Effective for pain management?
« on: April 04, 2018, 07:39:41 PM »
I am having the first of a 2 stage ACL revision. (Saturday 07/04/18) I will have a synthetic bone graft (Enlarged tunnels from the first ACL reconstruction 14 years ago) and meniscus repair and a general clean up (apparently lots of cartilage and even bone debris).

I remember from my first ACL that I was in lot of pain after the surgery (I then had an infection and had to have a 2nd operation 3 weeks after the surgery).

This time around I was told to get a cryo cuff. Is it really effective with Pain Management?

Thanks a lot

First ACL Recon 21/04/2004
Re-injury: 23/02/2018
ACL 1st Stage Revision: 28/04/18
Chondroplasty with Microfrature
Patella decompression
Meniscus repair
Bone Graft

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 369
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Cryo cuffs - Effective for pain management?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 08:02:31 PM »
They provide icing and compression to help swelling and inflammation, easier than going to the freezer every couple of hours. Won't prevent infection though?

Best is to get a good post-op pain management protocol and meds from the hospital and stay on top of the pain by taking regularly  and naturally following surgeon instructions to the letter

Good luck for the op
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 08:05:07 PM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Chiaretta

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 5
Re: Cryo cuffs - Effective for pain management?
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 05:59:17 PM »
I underwent a 2 stage ACL revision last year (in combination with HTO). For the bone graft, they used bone from my iliac crest, though, no synthetic bone.
Most pain I had after the bone graft procedure was from my hip (where they took the bone), my knee didn't hurt at all. Of course, pain is different for everyone, but I think (and hope), if you don't get an infection, you will have a much better experience than last time.

Good luck!

support