Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knee pain caused by custom orthotics?  (Read 14557 times)

Offline Dario

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Knee pain caused by custom orthotics?
« on: October 20, 2002, 08:07:47 AM »
I have recently recieved custom orthotics to relieve knee and achilles-tendon pain caused by overpronation (flat feet).  I have been wearing them non-stop for a few weeks with no problems until 3 days ago, when I got a flare-up of tendonitus much worse then I have ever had before.  Pain was most severe under the kneecap in the front of my leg, but was also present around the kneecap on the left side.

I know that I had flare-ups of tendonitis like this before, but it was never at this particular spot and with this intensity, and it has not completely gone away even after 72 hours.  Could this be caused by the orthotics?  It doesnt seem like they would be the cause of so much pain but it makes sense since this happened so recently after I started wearing them.  

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
Re: Knee pain caused by custom orthotics?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2002, 09:03:44 PM »
Dario,

My PT wanted to try custom orthotics on my for my knee pain, but said they would initially cause even worse irritation. He wanted to get me to the point where everything was calmed down before trying them.

I know several other people who have posted that orthotics took a lot of getting used to and caused some pain, but that they in general were worth it.  

You should contact the orthotist and let him/her know what is going on, they may have some ideas to help.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline Dario

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2002, 04:46:42 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  I initially tried to call my podiatrist (who gave me the orthotics) but the secretary said "He doesnt work with knees."  I just wanted to find out if this is a normal problem, but the office is far away and I don't have a car, and since the doc won't call me back or talk on the phone I will have to bite the bullet and bus it down to his office sometime soon.  I also got an apt. with an ortho surgeon so maybe he will be of more help.

Offline Shazinoz

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'Day from Australia
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2002, 05:16:37 AM »
I wear custom orthotics (for severe pronation and collapsed arches), when you 1st start wearing them you are supposed to build up to it like on day 1 wear only for 1/2 hr then day 2 -1 hr then day 3 -4 hrs etc etc. I did get some pain but mainly in my feet and ankles but yes also my knees as it is realigning your legs to sit in a more anatomical position but as you have been in an "un-anatomical" position for probably a LONG time this is what your body is used to so while realigning your body and while it gets used to it you can have foot/ ankle/ knee/lower back/ back/ hip and leg pain or any combination of them or none of them or all of them depending on how well your body adjusts and how quickly it adjusts to the new positioning. Once your body does adjust and settle down I found that I have less knee/ankle/hip/back and feet pain than before and I really notice it if I don't wear them.
Hope this helps.
If you are worried then call your podiatrist (yes they don't deal in knees but also in a way yes the do as they know that what goes on in your feet affects your knees and all of the above, actually my scoliosis was 1st diagnosed by my podiatrist who noted it during my exam so call him/her and just tell the secretary you are having some pain that you think might be fro the the orthotics and the posiatrist wanted to know if you had any proiblems with them, at least this way you may actually get through to the podiatrist (you can then appologise to the podiatrsit if he makes a big deal out of it and tell him/her that it was the only way you could get to talk with him as his/her secretary wouldn't put you through) my podiatrist would have gone nuts if her secretary din't pu me through during the adaption period if I had any questions at all or any worries, and your podiatrist is probably the same.
2 ACL 'reco's', 3 'scopes', Pain, JRA, EDS, RSD, CMP, osetochondral defect & #, synovitis, adhesions, nerve damage, foot drop, MCL damage, tendonitis, fibrosis, ligament damage AGAIN, dislocations +++

support