Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 3/22 Chondroplasty, Meniscal cyst decompression, Microfracture...  (Read 945 times)

Offline ZeeKnee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
So it begins the thread for my most recent knee surgery on 3/22 at Stanford Orthopedics.
Preop was the simplest I've experienced yet. A few questions, change into the hospital gown, iv started, nerve block done, and off to the OR. This was my first nerve block and I really don't like needles so I'm grateful they knocked me out for that. The nurses were amazing all the way through, especially when distracting me from the needles making it quick and painless. I cant say enough kind things about the staff.
After about 2 hours in surgery I woke up in excruciating pain and was crying. The nurses didn't take long to start me on some medication for pain and nausea. They also decided a second nerve block was in order since the procedure I had was more extensive than originally planned. The first one was mostly the front of my knee and the second block number the back of my leg down to my foot. Couple hours later and I made it home. The Game Ready was delivered and set up for me as well. I've spent a lot of time in it on my couch cuddling with the pups recovering since then. I'm on Percocet, naproxen, baby aspirin, and zofran as needed. 2 days in and I opened up the bandage. They used a clear incision glue so showering isn't an issue other than being exhausting. No need to keep it dry. Every thing looks really good so far. My incision is on the medial side as well as the 2 portals under the kneecap.
Fast forward 4 more days and nothing has changed. The pain is still there but improves with medication and ice. I'm looking forward to not taking much more Percocet soon hopefully. The pain is mostly where he did the microfracture. Which leads me to...
This is my 3rd surgery and microfx wasn't originally planned. He saw my OATS plug had delaminated and needed tuned up which is why he did the microfx. More fun were the 2 large meniscal cysts caused by a previous meniscal repair. The nonabsorbable sutures from surgery #1 were rubbing and sort of blistering it. He cauterized those and sent them off to the lab and removed all other foreign bodies. Meniscus was trimmed only 5% just at the edge where a tiny part of the tear had not healed. I'm not sure how extensive the chondroplasty was yet. He also removed scar tissue which I can already feel a difference. Before surgery I was only able to straighten to 10 degrees and I'm already passed that.
I've been doing light home exercises from leg lifts in the game ready to ankle pumps (the feeling in my foot still isn't right) and some easy stretching. I cant handle much as the incisions get irritated and burn if they rub the bandages. This part is super frustrating so I'm working on rubbing ice over the area to desensitize it some as well.
My follow up is next Friday and I look forward to seeing pictures of the inside and want to find out how extensive the work was and what my prognosis is going forward. I'm currently allowed to walk as tolerated - but it isn't tolerable or physically possible. I'm confused as to why I'm not in a brace or nwb with the microfx and will definitely ask about that. I'm certainly not complaining as it is much easier this time around. I just don't want to jeopardize my recovery because he thinks the aggravation is more than the reward would be worth.
Couple questions...
If your foot went numb, how long did that last? This is the first time I've experienced this.
Has anyone else been crutch and brace - free following a microfx and other procedures? This seems odd in my limited experience.
Looking forward to updating as progress continues and would love your feedback :-)
4/2015 - L knee meniscal repair and surprise microfx
9/2015 - L knee OATS, meniscal trim (or not according to the new Dr?), lateral release
3/2018 - L knee meniscal cyst decompression, microfx, chondroplasty, scar tissue removal

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 376
  • Neelie knee!
Re: 3/22 Chondroplasty, Meniscal cyst decompression, Microfracture...
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 07:56:03 AM »
Ref the brace and crutches, where's the mfx site? If it's not a weightbearing or articulating area, might not be required. That said I did a diy mfx on a weight bearing of the lateral condyle. Never used crutches but the area, about 1.5cm2, filled fully with fibrocartilage and I never used crutches or even rested it much

Good luck for your recovery
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline ZeeKnee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 08:58:27 AM »
Ah thanks Vickster you've given me a different perspective and some hope. I'm not sure exactly where it was at. Anterior medial femoral chondyle and my anesthesia brain thinks he said it was small but I could be wrong. All great things to add to my follow up questions for the OS. My original defect was on a weight bearing portion so fingers crossed for this to not be. I'm happy to hear yours healed. My original microfx of the same area failed which is why the 2nd surgery was OATS so I'm not sure exactly what happened quite yet. I just want to have the best chances at it working so I can not have anymore procedures for awhile and get back to activity. My dog is missing our walks already.

Ref the brace and crutches, where's the mfx site? If it's not a weightbearing or articulating area, might not be required. That said I did a diy mfx on a weight bearing of the lateral condyle. Never used crutches but the area, about 1.5cm2, filled fully with fibrocartilage and I never used crutches or even rested it much

Good luck for your recovery
9/2015 - L knee OATS, meniscal trim (or not according to the new Dr?), lateral release
3/2018 - L knee meniscal cyst decompression, microfx, chondroplasty, scar tissue removal

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 376
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 09:36:35 AM »
If it was at the front (anterior) of the condyle and not the weight bearing bottom that might explain it  :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline ZeeKnee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 09:40:28 AM »
Day 9!

The surgeon was right when he called this recovery a 'cakewalk'. I hit about 90 degrees today at home and really stretched the patellar tendon until the burning started becoming too painful (no work done to it but it is very angry and limiting the flexion). Haven't officially started PT yet but I know the routine and am doing things from leg lifts to working on extension/flexion. I realized how weak some other muscle groups are. I think my hip is completely sleeping still. I was able to stand a few moments here and there today on both legs which feels pretty good. Still too much joint line swelling and instability to begin walking even assisted yet. The sharp pain from before surgery is already gone. Prior to surgery on full extension (straight being 5-10 degrees) there was a stabbing pain in my femur and down to my tibia. Whatever was causing that is gone baby gone! The portals are already closed up and the long incision is healing nicely. The glue stuff they used has been amazing. No keeping it dry while showering is way better than the past. So in essence I already feel like the surgery was worth the downtime.
The lab report came back today. Nothing funky about the cysts. They were just "fibrovascular tissue and synovium with mild chronic inflammation" and the other sample was consistent with sutures from a previous meniscal repair (which, by the way, was successful).
The greatest part of my recovery has been snuggling with my friends 5 dogs. Dogpiles are amazing!! I hate when the little one beelines it for my knee but she's learning. The ice machine wrap shields my knee from her just enough.
Today really felt like a break through day where things are going to start rapidly improving. Here's to hoping that holds true. I've been doing a lot of Amazon prime lurking as I found out I'm moving next weekend. We hired movers as there's no way I can help at all. Looking forward to redecorating. So mentally this has already been a better recovery as well and I feel that has a much larger impact than people realize.