Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: * SUGAR is direct cause of KNEE PAIN *  (Read 5719 times)

Offline gman1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
    • SUGAR and ARTHRITIS PAIN
* SUGAR is direct cause of KNEE PAIN *
« on: April 01, 2004, 05:48:21 PM »
 I want to thank everyone who has tried to help me - now I have the help this whole board is looking for....
http://www.enter.net/~gman1/diet/index.html

ARTHRITIS PAIN:
I was in a car accident that bent both my knees in the wrong direction. It has been an agonizing 11 years ever since. I will not bore you with my frustrated opinions about doctors, but I will say that they have not been able to do much. On my own I discovered many suggested remedies to help alleviate the pain and/or help repair the damage such as glucosamine/chondroitin/msm, HGH, devils claw, etc. Although these helped some, they did not reduce the pain enough to return me to a normal functioning life.

LOW SUGAR SOLUTION:
I heard from 2 separate radio sources in one week that there was a direct link between sugar and arthritis. One sited a scientific study that showed as little as 8g a day can cause pain. The other source also claimed sugar was the pain culprit. Some arthritis diets include low sugar intake, but it is not emphasized. (note: the low carbohydrate craze is about low sugar.)

I cut down to a recommend 30g of sugar a day 14 days ago to see if this was indeed the magic bullet I spent 11 years looking for. After 7 days 80% of the pain was gone. After 10 days 85% of the pain was gone. Today(14 days later) 90% of the pain is gone. The 10% pain I have left is either from the tendon/ligament damage or could still be arthritis pain(not sure which). I will cut down to 8g of sugar a day if I have to. I have only had 1 semi painful day in the last 2 weeks on a real cold day.

note: when I say sugar I mean all kinds of sugar - sucrose(sugar cane), fructose(fruit sugar), lactose(milk sugar), etc.

follow the link up top for further details....
after you are free of pain - help others, as you have been helped....

Offline sienna

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Anyone seen the light at the end of the tunnel?
Re: * SUGAR is direct cause of KNEE PAIN *
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2004, 04:30:41 AM »
I read your webpage.
I agree that we could all do with a little less sugar etc.  But I would be very careful with regards to some of the other suggetions that you make.
High protein/low carbs diets are not very good for you and are very difficult to maintain.  The people I have spoken to who have tried this particular diet have found that they can only stay on it for about 5-7 days before they find that they have absolutely no energy to do anything and feel very tired and rundown.  
Meat contains lots of good things like iron, that we need so unless you get this iron from some where else, be very careful.  A friend of mine was a vegetarian who did all the right things ans found herself getting sick all the time.  In the end, her doc told her to start eating red meat at least 3x a week and she has.  Since she started eating the red meat, she hardly gets sick at all.
Milk contains the very important calcium and again, unless you get this calcium from somewhere else, be very careful.
Women in particular need lots of calcium for their bones to prevent osteoporosis.  and men are not totally safe from osteoporosis either.

As I said, I agree that we should eat less sugar and fat and salt but there is no need to cut out all the good things just because they contain a little of these things.  simply cutting off the fat, not adding extra sugar/salt, using low salt/sugar/fat products will help.  And don't forget some exercise.  I know we all have bad knees and exercise is difficult but we all are doing something even if it is only hobbling around the house.

Take care.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2004, 08:36:20 AM by sienna »
rk posterior meniscus tear. Successfully repaired 10 Sep,03. Now have nerve damage and cps which goes with it.  I want to slap the person who said 'It just takes time....'

Offline gman1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
    • SUGAR and ARTHRITIS PAIN
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2004, 06:45:08 PM »
sienna,

Your body has to adjust to any new diet/lifestyle you try....  Switching your eating habits for only 5-7 days to something different than you have been doing your whole life is not gonna prove anything.... Not to be gross but my bowel movements were green for a few months when I first became a vegetarian....  My stomach/body was confused for awhile until my system changed over....  Then everything changed for the better.... No more illeness....  No more heart burn - which is your stomach telling you it can't digest meat properly....

People forget one important fact about meat - All the benefits you get from meat(cow for example) come from the grass(vegetables) the animal that you ate - eats....  Everything else is waste....  You get alot of bad benefits from meat besides good benefits....  the best thing to do is bypass the meat(cow) and eat the vegetables(grass) yourself.... :-)

Yes you are very correct in makeing sure you get all your vitamins / calicimu / iron etc...  That is what I say on the page to take vitamin suppliments if you are having a hard time getting it from your vegetarian diet....  I take coral calcium, and eat formulated vegetarian burgers / protein bars / and drinks to make sure I get all my vitamins etc....

Yes it takes some effert to be a vegetarian....  You have to take responsibility for what you put in your body....  That is why 60% of people in america are overweight, because it is much easier to eat improperly....

Cutting down to 30g of sugar a day(or less) can not be done by just cutting down on ordinary foods....  a soda for example contains a cup of sugar....  a piece of cake is over that too....  This takes alot of effert to achieve....  But it is worth it to not have arthritis pain....  there is a new thing on the market called sugar alcohol(it is not sugar or alcohol) that companies are starting to use as a sugar substitue in there foods...  I see new products every week....  so people are able to eat sugar free cookies, cake, etc....

Offline OSDKnees

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 07:09:12 PM »
G-Man,

I have to applaud you for making the connection between sugar and disease.

I am also a big proponent of cutting as much sugar out of your diet as possible.  It's amazing that a substance that has such detrimental value to the body is marketed and consumed so voraciously.

I do not suggest cutting complex carbohydrates, however, for any reason.  When I look at a double bacon cheeseburger, I don't think that its the BUN that's making me fat or unhealthy.

I eat almost entirely rice, pasta and whole grains, along with vegetables and occasional free-range chicken.  This diet (I am a recovering steak-a-holic), has done wonders for my health.  

Offline RGrelsamer, MD

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
    • Ronald P. Grelsamer, MD
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2004, 10:19:36 PM »
Interesting, hadn't heard this before.
R Grelsamer MD
 www.KneeHipPain.com

Due to time and legal restrictions Dr. Grelsamer can respond just once to queries on the Bulletin Board. Thank you for your understanding.

Offline Cora

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2004, 04:09:13 AM »
Being hypoglycemic, I eat very little sugar.  I don't even drink fruit juice or add it to my coffee.  The sugar may cause some people arthritis.  I have heard this before.  I think it depends on the person.  We all probably have arthritis for different reasons.
Right knee- Septic Infection 1988, Skiing Injury with a severe medial sprain 1997, Softball injury with medial sprain 2004, PFS with arthritis diagnosed 2004.