Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: never ending knee pain  (Read 297 times)

Offline fay1205

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
never ending knee pain
« on: March 26, 2018, 12:34:21 AM »
Hello! I am a new user looking for some advice/input. I am 18 years old and am having really bad knee pain that seems to never want to get better. 3 years ago, I tore my left ACL playing basketball and had that repaired using my hamstring tendon. The recovery was very quick and great and was able to return to sports about 7 months later. Last year early 2017 I tore the left ACL again and had some meniscus damage. I had another surgery to using a cadaver Graft. I did therapy for about 3 months but never seemed to get better, I had pain that would never subside. I tried a cortisone injection a few months after that but that only helped for a week or two. finally just a week before 2018 I decided to have yet another arthroscopy on my left knee where my surgeon was able to remove scare tissue and notice some inflamed ligaments/tendons. Last month, I was still having pain so I had some fluid drained out (which provided relief only for a couple days before the pain came back).

So, even till today I am having pain that I feel gets worse by the day. My surgeon is awesome to talk to and is amazing at her job, but continually suggests that it is due to muscle weakness. however, I feel like whenever I try to use the elliptical I end up feeling worse the next day. I have tried doing a week of exercise every other day because I walk around campus a lot and have a standing job (only working a few hours a week because of my issue). but I feel like I am just never going to better, and its actually super depressing!!

I am trying to cut out medications and only take them as needed, but it seems impossible as even something as simple as walking around/standing for 2-3 hours is impossible. So, it has been 4 months since my last surgery and am still experiencing some swelling (on and off) and pain (feels like its really inside the joint) and in the back. Also for around the last 6 months, I have had  right knee (normal knee) pain developing (probably from overuse/weight bearing??)

Just looking for some input or advise about what could be going on!
Thanks!!

Offline reflex_nl

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 9
Re: never ending knee pain
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 09:25:12 PM »
sad to hear your struggling... despite you're young, recovery from an knee arthroscopy can take a decent 6 mths before slowing things get better. Be sure to check for no cartilage damage.
RK Patella Luxation in 2000
RK Scope grade 2 damage to patella
RK PT for 4 mths, recovered 90% after 4 years
LK Patella Luxation in Oct'16
LK Scope to remove loose bodies (grade 4) to patella Nov'16
LK Lateral Release + MPFL Reefing + MCIC in the UK Dec'17

support