Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Oats and lateral release  (Read 2035 times)

Offline ZeeKnee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Oats and lateral release
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2018, 09:49:53 AM »
Hey Melissa I had a medial femoral chondyle oats in 9/15 and certainly still had pain 6 months later. About a year is when I really hit a milestone and was pain free even with high impact activity and getting underway in bumpy seas. As for the new pains I had the lateral release too. It caused a lot of tendonitis type burning pains which the OS explained to be there because my kneecap moved and my body needed time to adjust to it. That also took about a year.
2 years later I'm back in with a new physical therapy office. As others have mentioned the whole body approach is a huge difference. Building my quad back up even this late in the game drastically improved my stability. I remember the exact buckling you were mentioning and it's gone now too.
Recently I had a 3rd surgery for meniscal cysts and the surgeon said most of the oats looked really good but a small portion had delaminated so he handled that. But all in all its a success :-)! One thing I will say is that I didn't understand how invasive OATS was until recently. It involves a bone graft and drilling and a transplant. When you look at it from this perspective it makes time that you need more time to recover. Hang in there and keep actively working to recover those muscles and deficiencies.

I am not sure if they are the people to talk to. If you can afford a foot doc, i'd go get a second opinion. Just find one that can do a gait analysis.. he may be able to find some things that other docs don't notice.

Thank you. Will do!

Anyone have anything further to add on pain at 6 months post op? Oh how I wish I could hear some OATS success stories! If I get better, I promise to post it to make everyone feel better!  Regardless, the support here is great. Nice group.
4/2015 - L knee meniscal repair and surprise microfx
9/2015 - L knee OATS, meniscal trim (or not according to the new Dr?), lateral release
3/2018 - L knee meniscal cyst decompression, microfx, chondroplasty, scar tissue removal

Offline MelissaFox

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2018, 12:08:20 PM »
Look up potential side effects before you get any of those injections done. The real nasty ones are the cortisone shots that have been found to actually degrade cartilage ( just what a knee patient needs ! )

Just keep in mind that those are symptom relievers. You can get some temporary relief, but the underlying problem will still need to be addressed. The sooner you deal with the underlying problem, the better.

Rather than take those shots, have you considered some very light exercise to get the joints lubricated? ie bicycling at a low intensity, aquatherapy etc? bicycling is how i've managed to manage the pain of my deformed legs and the cartilage grinding nightmare that they've always been.

I agree! Denied cortisone for that very reason. Supposedly this works as a lubricant. Doc believes I am having trouble with the synovium after surgery and this will help get it producing synovial fluid again in order to help me strengthen and heal.

I am still taking your advice and going to the foot doc though. It can't hurt!

Yes, biking is great! Been exercising a lot since after the surgery but doc thinks my muscles still aren't strong and balanced. He thinks every time I have pain and swelling the muscles are shutting down again so I am on a bit of a roller coaster in my progress. He believes that if we can get the joint lubricated and bring the pain and swelling down I will have better results in the gym and finally put an end to all these knee issues. One can only hope...

Offline MelissaFox

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2018, 12:31:47 PM »
Hey Melissa I had a medial femoral chondyle oats in 9/15 and certainly still had pain 6 months later. About a year is when I really hit a milestone and was pain free even with high impact activity and getting underway in bumpy seas. As for the new pains I had the lateral release too. It caused a lot of tendonitis type burning pains which the OS explained to be there because my kneecap moved and my body needed time to adjust to it. That also took about a year.
2 years later I'm back in with a new physical therapy office. As others have mentioned the whole body approach is a huge difference. Building my quad back up even this late in the game drastically improved my stability. I remember the exact buckling you were mentioning and it's gone now too.
Recently I had a 3rd surgery for meniscal cysts and the surgeon said most of the oats looked really good but a small portion had delaminated so he handled that. But all in all its a success :-)! One thing I will say is that I didn't understand how invasive OATS was until recently. It involves a bone graft and drilling and a transplant. When you look at it from this perspective it makes time that you need more time to recover. Hang in there and keep actively working to recover those muscles and deficiencies.

You have given me the understanding, support and hope I have been needing.  You've gone through the exact same surgery, overcome the new pains and you're a success! Thank you for taking the time to visit this site and be an inspiration for those of us still struggling. I wish there were more I could say to properly express my gratitude. There just aren't enough words. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.