Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: First Post and have lots of questions?  (Read 1333 times)

Offline its_only_me

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
First Post and have lots of questions?
« on: April 01, 2004, 02:26:28 AM »
Hello this is my first post on the site :D. I have been having knee problems for the past year now. I don't think they are as serious as some of the problems I have read about other peoples knees though.
        I'm going to describe my knee problems and pains and if anybody has any idea what is wrong please reply. I realise that the people who visit the board are not knee experts and can't diagnose my problem but any opinions or input is welcome very much.
        I am a 15 year old boy who is quite tall and has never had any knee problems before. Last year I decided to try and get fit and started visiting my local gym. For 5 or 6 months I had no problems but then I started getting sharp pains in my knees when running(more in the right knee than left), and also when walking, standing up from chairs, walking up stairs etc. By that time I was visiting the gym 4 times a week and was doing a lot of running on the treadmill(I know I shouldn't have used the treadmill so much :-[). For a week or two I just ignored it hoping it would go away but it didn't so I stopped my activities. After another 2 weeks or so with no reduction in pain I went to my doctor who referred me to a physiotherapist. Since I live in the U.K. I had to wait 5 weeks to be assessed for treatment. By this time my pain was a sharp pain around my knee cap which came when walking, stairs, squatting(also standing up from squat), kneeling, deep knee bending(All of this on both knees but more intense and more frequent with right). My right knee would also make cracking noises and popping noises, and would also make a grinding or creaking noise(like a squeeky door) when standing up from a squat. When I went to the physio he said that I had a tight illiotibial band and that my quadricep muscle which pulled on my knee cap was weak. I was given strengthening excercises and stretches to do. My physio also gave me a massage on my right iliotibial band ( and later on my left)to loosen it. This helped a lot and since then my pain has been reduced quite significantly ;D. However, the grinding and cracking noises are still there in my right knee but there is no pain. My physiotherapist says I shouldn't worry about the noises even though they are quite loud (and hearing grinding noises from my knee is very scary!). Also, when I extend my right knee, if I gently put my hand on my knee I can feel my knee cap "jumping" or "jerking". I was dismissed from physiotherapy last month told that my knee should get better if I keep doing my excercises but I have to phone them and inform them how I am getting on and If I haven't improved then I can come back without waiting 4 weeks on the waiting list. It hasn't got any better, just stayed the same.
         I think that my problem is more serious than loose or week muscles because of the grinding and cracking noises but my physio thinks not and I am no expert.
        I may be experiencing knee problems because of too much running at the gym or because I am 15 and growing or maybe a combination of both.
        Does anybody have any Idea what might be wrong with my knees, any idea would be welcome?
        Thankyou for reading my very long post :D:D :P

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: First Post and have lots of questions?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2004, 02:33:51 AM »
Hey, Welcome to the KNeegeeks board, Glad to meet you. ;D 15, you are one of the youngest around here. ::)
I wish I had a board like this when I was 15, I've had probs with my knees for 15 years... ;D and I'm 23.
Anyhow... it sounds like you have Patella Femoral Syndrome, which basically just means that your kneecap does not track as well as at should.  
They do say that sounds that do not produce pain is nothing to worry about. But keep an eye on it. ;) I'm glad that physio is helping you that's good.  ;D  It's hard, when you are growing to know what's actually a problem and what's something you are growing through.   You did good to seek out some professional help though.  Have you started exercising again??? If there is not much pain now, then you should just monitor your knees I would say. IF they get worse again go back and see the doctor. ::)

Hope this helped...
Goodluck
Hugs and Hope
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2004, 04:02:02 AM »
I agree with Linds. Just keep up the PT, and follow up with the docs if it worsens. Hopefully things will get better, you still have growing to do yet.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline lizl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I've fallen and I cannot get up?
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2004, 11:19:42 AM »
In addition to tracking issues, you may have developed a bit of tendenitis from working so hard. Tendenitis is inflammation, and it can get better on its own, if you just take it easy. (I don't mean to imply that tendenitis ALWAYS gets better on its own, but a mild flare-up certainly can.)

LizL
2003: 1/28-29Fell on wet floor,broke kneecap
ORIF(hdwr&immob)
Post-op drug reaction
3/4-5/13 brace
3/21-8/28PT
12/19Hardware removal,scope,partial meniscectomies
2004: More PT
lost job
Settledw/WC Oct
2005: Personal injury lawsuit--reschedulings,failed mediation
2006: settled out of court in March

Offline teresa.uk

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2004, 01:44:18 PM »
 :)Hello
I live in the UK,so know all about waiting lists etc!You are young to be on this site, but welcome.You will get a lot of help and support from fellow sufferers. You are obviously taking things seriously,which is good.I would suggest that if things dont improve,and you have supportive parents,you go back to your GP,and ask to be reffered to an orthopaedic consultant.If your knee calms down whilst you are waiting(you will need to be patient!!)you can always cancel,but it may be worth reassurance from an expert.He may just say that your physio was on the right track,and nothing more can be done,but at your age it is not worth the risk of long term problems.
good luck
Teresa
osteoarthritis both knees,arthroscopy 1993.Bilateral arthroscopies,semi-open lateral releases jan '03.Hands now affected.1 knee made worse by op.Patella-Femoral replacement done 11 Jan 2004.

Offline its_only_me

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2004, 12:27:04 AM »
Hello, Thanks for the advice all. My knee hasn't gotten anybetter since I left physio so I'm going to phone this wednesday to get another appointment and I'll see what the my physio says.

;D :P

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 214
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 06:44:56 PM »
Hi

Having read your very long post, it seems that you are not going down the right path.

Your should not delay much longer to find a correct solution to your knee problem.

Insist that you see an Orthopaedic Consultant - no doubt he will request a MRI scan and this should give an indication what is wrong with your knee.  The longer you delay, the more worries and the worse it will become.

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon