Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Running after lateral release  (Read 2327 times)

Offline Andrea

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Running after lateral release
« on: August 05, 2002, 12:36:47 AM »
I was just wondering how long after other people's lateral releases were you able to start running or jogging.  I have had lateral releases on both knees, but I had the second surgery 5 months after my first one and I hadn't returned to running yet so I don't know.  I am now a little over four months post op and I am no where near being able to run.  I just want to play BASKETBALL!!!!!!!!!!   I feel like my knees will never stop hurting and my quad will be dead forever.  
Andrea
« Last Edit: November 05, 2002, 12:17:00 AM by admin »
I have had meniscal repair+plica excision (right knee 10/99, left knee 12/00) scar tissue excision and manipulation under anesthesia (left knee 4/00) and lateral releases (left knee 10/01, right 4/02)

Offline Jak

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: running after lateral releases
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2002, 06:51:12 PM »
Be careful, be very careful.  I went on the treadmill four weeks post lateral release and was fine whilst on it.  I only jogged for five minutes and when I came off my knee was really swollen for a couple of days.  I could do a straight leg raise before this moment of madness and now I can't and I find it difficult to communicate to my knee cap!  Personally I think you need to listen to your knee and ensure all your muscles are working properly first, the old adage of not running before you can walk springs to mind.  Best of luck and you will get there.
June 2002 medial plica and supra-patela plica removal, chondroplasty on both knees and lateral release on right knee.

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2002, 12:48:43 PM »
Hiya

I'm 4 weeks post LR and I have not being able to run yet, I do brisk walking but trying to do anything else is just far to painful.

I really want to run again but my PT says it is more important that the knee heals properly and that I exercise my quads and VMO to their full extent before running again.

Hope that helps
Iona

Offline Tania

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2002, 08:41:04 AM »
 : :(Hi , it's been 9 months since my LR,plica removal,patella shaving of my knee. Still can't run , or ride my horse. Still have same pain as before the op... Hope you have more luck than me in recovery to a normal life.  See ya....