Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Exercise options with a torn meniscus?  (Read 2261 times)

Offline MarkH

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Exercise options with a torn meniscus?
« on: March 05, 2018, 07:17:18 PM »
As above, I guess all low impact stuff cycling, swimming, elliptical machine?

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 417
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Exercise options with a torn meniscus?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 07:50:36 PM »
Yes. Anything low impact. With my torn meniscus I think I could also use a rower and walk on a treadmill. Id avoid anything that involves heavy free or machine weights, jumping, etc

Although with a degenerate meniscus in a worn knee, it could well tear more whatever you do. Avoiding inflammation, pain and swelling should be a key objective. Get an exercise programme from a knee experienced sports physio. You might even be ok to jog if the knee is stable. Many people have lightly torn or frayed degenerate meniscus and donít even know
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Hill Girl

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 7
Re: Exercise options with a torn meniscus?
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 08:19:39 PM »
Wondering about jogging on a trampette (though check this out with physio first and it should of course go hand in hand with appropriate strengthening work). I got one second hand for my ACL rehab and I used it to start with to regain confidence walking, for balance work/strengthening and then later on I ran on it as I was going crazy not running! No doubt to the amusement of the neighbours I did this outside on nice weather days, listening to music. I still use it for balance work and sometimes running indoors if watching something not totally engrossing on tv!
Mar 2006 ACL rupture skiing.  Bone bruise.  No ACLR - lots of rehab got me back to the hills.

Feb 2016 Medial meniscus bucket handle tear left knee, c75% removed.

ACLR (hamstring autograph) 03/17

Patellofemoral/trochlear wear in the other knee

support