Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Long term update  (Read 902 times)

Offline rbahr

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
    • My Knee Story
Long term update
« on: February 27, 2018, 03:16:53 PM »
Hi All,

It has been some time since I have been to this site. I am now 62 YO, and have had the following done to my knees:

December 2008 I had a "Left knee autologous chondrocyte implantation grafting to lateral femoral condyle 40x20 mm, lateral tibial plateau 30x20 mm, trough technique for lateral meniscal allograft 35 mm wide x 14 mm long, ACI to the trochlea 15x15 mm, using Bio-Gide membrane, four vials of autologous cultured chondrocytes (Carticel), capsular patellar lateral release." - a mouthfull to be sure... This was performed by Dr. Tom Minas - who is fabulous...

There were some scarring issues and had several follow-on scopes to fix the scarring.

As a point-of-reference, my right knee was done ~ 10 years ago with the following procedures:

About 10 years prior to that, my right knee had as a primary procedure:
Autologous chondrocyte implantation grafting, right knee, medial femoral condyle 54 mm long, 28 mm wide using two vials carticel with tibial periosteum, right knee.
Secondary procedure:
High tibial valgus osteotomy, closing of wedge 14 degrees with tibial tubercle osteotomy, patellar lateral release, mid shaft fibula osteotomy."

All that said, I had mostly stopped the high impact exercise - running, martial arts, racquetball but was doing Yoga, Pilates, Lifting, walking...

My left knee has never REALLY recovered - been sore for quite a while. Early last year I started doing some dead lifts and that seemed to really mess it up, and then 2 weeks ago, there was some event - not sure what, where I ended up unable to walk without a lot of pain - feels like some of the early cartilage tears I had in my 'youth'.

I have read that the meniscal allograft last 5-7 years and fail due to some changes in the material.

It is now ~8 years out, and it sure feels 'not good' so perhaps I got some use out of it.

Been trying to see Dr. Tom Minas who has done all of the real work on my knees and understand what is next - I suspect a Partial or a Total are in my future - both scare me to no end...

The good news is that ~18 years out my right knee has been great - but then I was younger and the damage was not as bad as my left knee.

Thanks

Ray