Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: IT band pain during MPFL post op rehab  (Read 642 times)

Offline Steve99

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
IT band pain during MPFL post op rehab
« on: February 15, 2018, 04:30:08 AM »
A question for those whoíve had MPFL surgery.  Iím 6 weeks post-op.  Iíd say Iím
Progressing well.  In therapy while laying on my back, my therapist bends my knee every session.  Weíre at 145 degrees ROM when he bends it under control.  Only problem is when we get that far in the bending, I get some serious pain in the IT band area.  Curious if anyoneís had these issues during rehab?  Iím using the roller on the IT Band daily, but that pain re-occurs every time during the deep pending of the knee.  Any advice on how to get over this hump is appreciated. 

Offline zendamme

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: IT band pain during MPFL post op rehab
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 05:14:07 PM »
I would say 6.5 weeks is just a little early to be pushing your knee to 145, to be honest; that's probably why you're getting the pain. If your PT is really forcing your knee you should be careful and ask them to stop, they shouldn't be pushing it beyond discomfort for you. I've had pain in the IT band and the back of the hamstring when I've tried to force ROM too much.

I'm 12 weeks on from an MPFL and my PT would only ever push the knee just a little (like less than 5 degrees more). So I would probably ease up on the deep bending for now, especially if you're getting swelling with it. Once you're a few weeks on you'll find that the knee will reach 145 easily and without pain.

Offline Steve99

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: IT band pain during MPFL post op rehab
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 04:17:09 AM »
Thanks for the info.  Ever since that post Iíve been working religiously on strengthening the IT band with resistance bands and side steps.  I think the big part holding things back was being locked in a brace for six weeks post op  Now nearly two weeks removed from the brace (8 weeks total post op) there is that IT band pain when working ROM, but itís not as sharp and at times isnít painful.  Also began weight lifting program.  Was able to squat light weight and deadlift.  Gait is returning to normal.  Still about the same ROM but itís less tight when working ROM.  Not supposed to begin slow straight line jogging for another month.  I can understand why.  Was walking the treadmill at PT at a 3.0 speed and wanted to see if I could jog that pace and it wasnít happening.  Slowly but surely though I know Iíll get there.  Able to climb and descend on the stairs at home.  Climbing is easier.  Descending Iím careful with the operated knee and going down like an elderly guy.  Definitely miss my Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and sprint interval training.  Definitely realizing that I canít neglect resistance training in the future as I believe the knee dislocation happened due to having weaker supporting lower body muscles.