Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Recovery of lateral release vs plica surgery  (Read 3196 times)

Offline katarina

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Recovery of lateral release vs plica surgery
« on: September 28, 2002, 09:33:48 PM »
i am scheduled for a lateral release next month. i know a bunch of people who had plica surgery (only a plica, nothing more) and were back on their feet pretty quickly.  can i expect the same recovery from a lateral release, or is it more of a recovery than a plica excision?
  which is considered an easier rehab?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2002, 04:51:58 PM by admin »

Offline mj/usa

• Forum Faithful
  • glad to have my knee back again
Re: lateral release vs plica surgery
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2002, 09:43:34 PM »
Hi!

These operations are oceans apart.  Plica rehab is not hard at all--painful, yes, but not difficult compared with lateral release.  I was on my feet immediately post-surgery, with just a cane for help.  I had troubles getting my rom back, but that was from another injury that wasn't treated at the time the plica was excised.  All in all, I would have to say plica recovery is relatively easy. I have only had the plica removed, but there are enough posts about lateral releases that will give you an answer about how tough that op is.Good luck to you!
MJ

plica excision 05/01,  followed by OATS 09/02

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2002, 12:21:27 AM »
Hi

I've had both Plica and a LR done at the same time quite recently as well as 2 previous lateral releases.

Speaking from my own experience, I found this recovery with the both being done a lot easier than that of the 2 LR's I had had before. Yes it was painful but not unbearable and the re-hab has been quite straightforward although I have mal tracking again at the moment which is unrelated to my recovery.

On a scale of 1-10 of pain it was for me about a 4 and I was in the supermarket 5 hours after my surgery.

I think the only real ifference is that I notice a dull ache when claimbing stairs with the plica and it does flare up and become painful sometimes, and my PT has been a bit longer though I am 12 weeks post op nearly an still going.

Good luck with your surgery.
Iona

Offline kld

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2002, 07:05:43 PM »
if i have plica removed from one knee, how long until i can do the other? my doc wont do them together
29 year old athletic female; plica removal 10/02

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2002, 08:18:24 PM »
Hi KLD

My surgeon wouldn't do my plicas together either so he suggested waiting anything up to 20 weeks but said it would be possible to have the other knee done about 12 eeks after the other if I wanted, however all surgeon will have different thought and may suggest a time after he sees how your recovery has progressed after the first surgery.

Iona

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2002, 09:10:06 PM »
Lateral release and plica are oceans apart in their purpose, outcome and recovery. Plica surgery, simply removes a swollen band of tissue from the joint itself.  This causes swelling etc...a Lateral Release surgery, is an attempt at realigning the knee joint itself by incising the lateral tissues. The recovery from a LR is long, the muscles atrophy very quikly because they have been damaged. The Damage to the soft tissues is sometimes extensive and takes time to settle down, before you can attempt to put weight back on the joint to stand...and before you can begin to attempt to build up the muscles again you need to have it settled down some.
LR isn't a bad surgery, I am 6 months post op and pretty much back to normal life and my knee looks...well as close to normal as a knee can look. Just it's not even similar to a plica excision...except that they are both usually done arthroscopically.
GOOD LUCK with your surgery, let us know how goes.  :) Be crossing my fingers for you
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline kld

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2002, 06:17:02 PM »
  HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD AN EPIDURAL? DO THEY PUT IT IN YOUR SPINE?
  WHAT WILL I FEEL LIKE WHEN I GET HOME FROM THE HOSPITAL?
29 year old athletic female; plica removal 10/02

Offline mj/usa

• Forum Faithful
  • glad to have my knee back again
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2002, 06:44:04 PM »
Hi--
I had the epidural this time for the oats--for the plica I only needed a  local plus sedation.
The epidural went into the dura around the spinal cord--it completely numbed my legs so I couldn't move a thing.  That was the oddest feeling, seeing the toes and telling htem to move and they didn't.  As I understand it, you can't go home until all feeling has returned to the legs.  I had no residual numbness or other problems. EXCEPT for the headaches which have now disappeared thank God! but which were me for almost 2 weeks!!!! (That seems to be the case with most people--I posted about it under just want to chat)
Good luck
MJ
plica excision 05/01,  followed by OATS 09/02

Offline seema_pillai

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: Recovery of lateral release vs plica surgery
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 03:16:59 PM »
I had a lateral release done on April 2017 on my left knee. I was having chronic grinding pain under patella for about 1 year. I am a runner -- have been running marathons for about 5 years prior to the surgery.

I tried all conservative options : physiotherapy, PRP, braces, taping, ultrasound....finally my ortho said LR could fix my issue, since my lateral retinaculum is tight.  I decided to take the LR surgery. It is 1 year since I took the surgery --- My feel is , if I had spent the amount of time I spent for PT to recover from LR , I would have probably recovered from my initial grinding pain under patella. Even now, I cannot say I am completely recovered -- may be 60% . The chronic grinding pain under patella is no more there --- but I have a lot of other isssues --- rubbing against a bruise feeling on lateral side, painful lateral side, weak quads, muscle atrophy.... My quads have lost 1/3rd muscles..

My issue was a tight lateral retinaculum. There is no direct stretch to loosen it up , but probably a lot of IT band stretch and hamstring stretches and strengthening would have fixed the issue.

It took about 3 months after the surgery for the swelling to subside . Then there were lot of other issues like tissue adhesions , rubbing against a bruise feel  on lateral side---- It was a very tough recovery phase.

My advice to anyone attempting LR for patellofemural pain -- think twice --- This surgery is a very aggressive one. Even after 1 year, I feel I have a long road ahead for complete recovery (if at all it is possible)