Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Advice Needed: ACLR & Meniscus Tear  (Read 223 times)

Offline PSUMSED

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Advice Needed: ACLR & Meniscus Tear
« on: February 03, 2018, 08:21:53 AM »
Hello!
It took a little bit, but I'm happy I found this website and community.

I'm a 21 year old female. I tore my ACL and lateral meniscus Jan 8th 2018, and just had surgery on the 26th for it. I was supposed to go back to school on the 29th but was too worried about not addressing my knee for a whole semester so I'm staying home for the first two weeks to work on pain control and getting better before going right back to school.

My recovery has been going really well for only being a week out. I am at a 75 degree angle with CPM, and am able to sit almost 90 degrees at a table. I can raise my leg on my back and turn on my sides while I have my brace on. The other day I was able to get myself between a 50 and 65 degree bend without any assistance. I've been working really hard on PT exercises (I've only had 1 in person visit so far), but recently there's some small things that I've been struggling with that I'm looking for some advice on.

1. I'm having really bad hip pain that's making this extremely uncomfortable. I thought sitting would help or turning on my sides but everything hurts. Pain medication isn't really helping with this either. Did anyone else have bad hip pain while going through this and is there any advice you could offer?

2. While I was doing exercises earlier, my shin bone really started hurting and I noticed a section below my knee had gone numb to the touch. Is this a normal thing or something I should ask the surgeon or PT about? There isn't any discoloration on my leg or foot, except for the iodine still leftover from surgery.

3. The most important question of them all: SLEEP. I'm not taking medication that much anymore so sleeping is becoming slightly more difficult. By nature, I'm a stomach sleeper. Since I also had the meniscus tear, I've been worried about trying to sleep on my stomach but I am constantly tossing and turning at all hours of the night. Clearly (as it is 3:14am while I write this), I'm finding a lot of difficulty with comfort. Part of it is the hip pain, the brace, and the stomach. I've tried on both sides with a pillow and can only stay in those positions for so long. Laying on my back upsets my hip and makes me uncomfortable. Is anyone a stomach sleeper naturally that has gone through this? How long was it before you could turn on your stomach? Any sleeping advice other that pillows?

Thank you all very much for any advice!
01/08/2018: Ski Accident left with ACLR and LMT on Right Knee
01/26/2018: Surgery for ACLR & LMT

support