Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACLR  (Read 273 times)

Offline DaniNoutz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • Dr Danby
ACLR
« on: February 02, 2018, 09:39:10 PM »
Did ACL, MCL, LCL, lot of bone bruising skiing Whistler 21/1.
Having ACLR 7/2
Good surgeon, will be good sports physios
Am distance runner (1/2 marathons & 30k, first full last year, had planned 2. This year in May then July 😢🙁. Next ski holiday booked December.
Interested to hear people’s rehab experiences and time till back running & skiing
Dr Danby Noutzski 😊⛷

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 369
  • Neelie knee!
Re: ACLR
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 09:52:25 PM »
This is probably the best ACLr to skiing diary on the forum, long though

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=52154.0

Any return to any sport must be led entirely by your medical team. Can't imagine you'll be running any marathons this year though...or running anywhere much for 6 months

Ref skiing, do you have travel cancellation insurance for the next trip

Good luck
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Hill Girl

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 7
Re: ACLR
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 09:24:41 AM »
Hi there

This is a bit of a story but I sense this is the sort of info you might be looking for?  I was certainly curious about what the rehab phase might look like.

I had ACL (hamstring) in March last year.  I had a bit of a slow start to my rehab owing to a bad haematoma in my calf but soon caught up.  I paid for private physio once the NHS quota ran out and it was well worth the money as I got a structured and phased programme, going every 3-4 weeks in the later stages.

I worked hard at my rehab.  I was able to do everything I needed to do from home/without joining a gym by borrowing a few bits of kit and improvising a lot!  Static bike a vital piece of kit and totally kept me sane.  A trampette (mini trampoline/rebounder thing) was a great second hand purchase as from quite early on you could begin to test out a faster walking/jogging pace with no impact, gradually building up to jogging on it properly whilst watching tv.  I also used it for some small/careful squats and use it now for balance work.  It was really hard getting up early enough before work to fit stuff in that I knew I wouldn't manage when I got home from work so am proud of what I achieved.

I started a walk/jog programme, to build back up to 5km, at the end of July (ie 4 months) but this was promptly vetoed when I changed physio on the basis that more work was needed on quads/hamstrings/glutes first. 

I started a slightly different return-to-run programme at the end of October (7 months, might have been sooner but I was away on a rock climbing trip - heaven after a tough first part of the year).  I quickly built comfortably up to 20 minute runs on a football pitch, then had no problems increasing these to 30 mins on flat trails.  I didn't get any further than this as I then went away hillwalking and was out for long days which was exercise enough!  My knee felt like normal during this trip and there were no ill effects from consecutive days' hard activity.  (Unfortunately I had an incident at the end of that trip, for which see separate post  :( )

I am a 50 year old female hillwalker/climber/orienteer/cyclist/hill runner - and ex downhill skiier (the "ex" on account of three skiiing injuries and fear of further knee injuries).  I have also recently returned to rowing, this has been brilliant for me during my rehab and I've got the bug again so am carrying on!

The rehab is a long haul and can be a lonely process at times.  Get a good physio for practical and moral support, listen to them, follow the rules/timelines for the different things and work hard at it.  It pays off.

All the best with your surgery.
Mar 2006 ACL rupture skiing.  Bone bruise.  No ACLR - lots of rehab got me back to the hills.

Feb 2016 Medial meniscus bucket handle tear left knee, c75% removed.

ACLR (hamstring autograph) 03/17

Patellofemoral/trochlear wear in the other knee

support