Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Question for the Ladies (might be TMI for the men)  (Read 1281 times)

Offline yodalover

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Question for the Ladies (might be TMI for the men)
« on: February 09, 2004, 03:10:41 PM »
For you ladies who have had knee surgery...  did you find that your time-of-the-month gets out of wack?

Mine is 4 days late so far, and I KNOW i'm not pregnant...  (unless by immaculate conception :) )

Can having surgery mess with things?   What about the inactivity durinig recovery?   Or meds?

-Paula
Left Knee - Modified Elmslie TTT with a lateral release and patella shaving - January 14, 2004
Right Knee - same surgery - June 9, 2004

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
Re: Question for the Ladies (might be TMI for the
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2004, 04:19:16 PM »
There are a number of things that can throw off your cycle.  Medications certainly can, stress is also a big factor.  It's more related to a change in things than any one factor.

It is quite common for athletes to stop cycling during their season.  I've seen somewhere that this may be an adaptation to protect against ligament injuries since the change in hormones causes ligament laxity.  When I played soccer in college, my best friend was on birthcontrol so she would not have her period since her OS believed that her repeated ACL tears was due to severe hormone fluxuations.  
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2004, 04:36:08 PM »
Hey !!

Yep, there are lots of things which can change your period. F.i. meds,trauma, stress. I'm sure you will get it as soon as your body feel in order again. I had backsurgery 3 years ago and got my period 2 weeks earlier then normal, had only 14 days between. So just relax and it will come in no time.

Nettan  ::)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2004, 10:11:37 PM »
Surgery can throw it off, the other is the meds.  MEdications really mess with my cycle! inactivity, weight loss, weight gain, stress they can all play a roll.  
Hope that helped
HUGs
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?